• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BABBLE CONFUSION!
English-speaking people apparently offen use the term "audio interface" about an external audio device.

While an internal audio device is called "sound card"

But of course it's basically rubbish.

A "sound card" and an "audio interface" are completely the same.

Sound card is audio interface and audio interface is sound card.

No longer is that story, in the first place

But with such confusing habits, it can be difficult to understand people.

And that's not good

English-speaking people also apparently offen use the term "download" about the whole process of downloading a program AND installing it.

Of course, this is basically rubbish.

Downloading is one process, while installation is another process.

No longer is that story, in the first place.

And that's not good
---
When will they ever learn, when will ...
---
"I have downloadet the program.
But I can get nowhere"

"Then install it, too. It is not enough to download it"

[More to come, maybe]

I have two sound cards (Echo Mia and M-Audio AP2496, still working in old boxes) and a bunch of AI's USB and even FireWire Wink The "soundcards" have lower latencies RTL than the modern USB counterparts (except maybe some Thunderbolt interfaces and the well acclaimed RME or Lynx...). But, they don't have mic preamps (there were some with it in the old days however: PCI card with breakout external boxes).

For me, native French speaking, downloading is... downloading and install is... install, Smile
(04-16-2020, 11:56 PM)Hans Peter Augustesen Wrote: English-speaking people apparently offen use the term "audio interface" about an external audio device.

While an internal audio device is called "sound card"

But of course it's basically rubbish.

A "sound card" and an "audio interface" are completely the same.

Sound card is audio interface and audio interface is sound card.

No longer is that story, in the first place

And that's not good

English-speaking people also apparently offen use the term "download" about the whole process of downloading a program AND installing it.

Of course, this is basically rubbish.

Downloading is one process, while installation is another process.

No longer is that story, in the first place.

And that's not good
---
When will they ever learn, when will ...
---
"I have downloadet the program.
But I can get nowhere"

"Then install it, too. It is not enough to download it"

[More to come, maybe]

Agreed. I'm american/english speaking and you are right about the difference. And, yes.. we were taught interface usually mean external but you are correct, internal or external, both are an interface. However Download, means only download. It does not include install.. but i can see room for confusion about this too.
Download is only download, yes.

And installing is only installing, yes

But people are still saying download when they mean download AND installing.

If you have another opinion than me about it, it is OK with me.

But it can not change anything about what I wrote.

Nothing of what you wrote can change my opinion about that. There is needed much more hard facts.

Maybe I will fix some valid representative data about that, that can show that I am right about that - from chat or whatever.

But likely not - I am total convinced just now - and it is not very important now

For the moment I dont need it - but if you can find - good
As I recall:
In the 1990s (and later, I guess), it was not possible or it was very uncommon to download AND install in one move.
However, it is very common today.
That is nothing to notice and talk about.

Then of course it will creep into the language etc.
That is not a problem in itself.
It is when I need to read and understand and so.

I stick to the scientific terms, so to speak. And avoid the popular ones.
There is simply too much obscurity about it and it is far too inefficient and unsuitable for technical difficulties.
Nothing for me!

And somehow, at first and last, that's not my problem, so to speak.
Anyhow, in the end, I can't do anything particularly effective about it.
And: it's not a completely insoluble problem.
Then I just relinquish.
(04-17-2020, 04:52 AM)Patrice Brousseau Wrote: I have two sound cards (Echo Mia and M-Audio AP2496, still working in old boxes) and a bunch of AI's USB and even FireWire Wink The "soundcards" have lower latencies RTL than the modern USB counterparts (except maybe some Thunderbolt interfaces and the well acclaimed RME or Lynx...). But, they don't have mic preamps (there were some with it in the old days however: PCI card with breakout external boxes).

For me, native French speaking, downloading is... downloading and install is... install, Smile
It is very interesting.

My impression is also that the in-board or internal audio interfaces have lower latencies than modern USB external counterparts.

It must be so, it is a much "quicker" construction.

But now a days they are very much out of production and use!?

But maybe a revival will come.

Was there other important differences than lack of "mic preamp".

Yes, downinstall - lol

This writer maybe think it is very funny - in 2004

But actually it is not funny - for more than a moment.

But the phenomen has not been less since that, more the opposite. I will assume:

"Re:Confusing about downloading and installing
by tjplaw40 Apr 19, 2004 12:17AM PDT

You've got to be kidding.

After all the time computers have been available you still don't know the difference between Downloading a program and installing it.

Ok here goes, click a download link on a website.
You should be prompted to save it to your computer, you then need do decide what directory the file should go. I recommend a new file, name it Downloads or something you will remember.

After downloading the file, locate it in windows explorer, double click the file, you will be prompted to install it either in program files or somewhere else.

I have a suspicion you will be spending alot of time at these forums"

> https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/...ing-19984/

A good way to put it is:

You download a file to your hard drive

You install that executable file - and get a program on your system.

Though, the downloaded file is also a program.

That's how there is so much
PCI is a more direct connection to the CPU (as is PCIe and Thunderbolt). USB is not directly tied to the CPU. It's what I've read but I could be wrong. The thing is that RME is able to build (in house) USB drivers as efficient and low latency as PCI and consort...

It depends also on the manufacturer and a lot of USB drivers are developed by the same companies (OEM) for a lot of audio brands. I think there is Thesycon developing for some.

RME are in-house;
Lynx, the same;
Motu, in-house I think;
Etc...

There are also manufactures adding "safety buffers", example choosing 128 buffer gives an RTL of 6ms. 64 buffer on another interface brand would yield 7ms of RTL...

A good reference for this stuff: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-co...-base.html

Nowadays, manufacturers claims "no latency" monitoring, as long as you use the direct monitoring of the interface/soundcards. However, in JK or in a DAW (when tracking with VST effects as an example), RTL is important.

Myself, I prefer 5-6 ms and can cope with 10ms but above this, it feels sluggish (on a keyboard with a software synth as an example) or delayed (if tracking guit/bass wit effects).
Yes, all average people can notice/hear latency or delay above 10 milliseconds or so.

20 ms delay is easy to notice/hear for average people - under normal/good conditions.