• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roland edrums without local monitor
I have a Roland TD 17KVX and want to use a microphone as well on JK.  Is it best to use a mixer and audio into the Roland for the mic then out to the Mac computer with USB from the Roland or audio out from the Roland to a Motu M4 along with the mic then USB to the Mac.  I would like to hear my playing from JK rather than local monitor so using the TD 17 is not great as I cannot figure out how to disable local monitoring when headphones are in the Roland.  Using the Motu, I use that headphone jack but still do not hear myself back from JK.  PLease help!
(12-13-2021, 07:35 PM)Bigvic Wrote: I have a Roland TD 17KVX and want to use a microphone as well on JK.  Is it best to use a mixer and audio into the Roland for the mic then out to the Mac computer with USB from the Roland or audio out from the Roland to a Motu M4 along with the mic then USB to the Mac.  I would like to hear my playing from JK rather than local monitor so using the TD 17 is not great as I cannot figure out how to disable local monitoring when headphones are in the Roland.  Using the Motu, I use that headphone jack but still do not hear myself back from JK.  PLease help!

>>>
You will only hear yourself when in a session of any kind. That 'closes the loop'. Did you try a (private) session?

Best would indeed be going through your audio interface with both your kit (module) and your mic.
> Tamacti Jun <
I would have thought that (as long as you've got 2 usb inputs to the mac) you could put the Roland into one usb and the MOTU interface into the other. Then plug the mic into the MOTU and the headphones also into the MOTU, with local monitoring turned off. I haven't tried exactly this set up, but I've done something equivalent, with guitar amp with usb output into the mac, plus Focusrite interface into the other mac usb input (with mic attached) and this worked satisfactorily. As Dimitri says, use JamKazam to close the loop--a private session for testing.
(12-13-2021, 09:13 PM)SteveW Wrote: I would have thought that (as long as you've got 2 usb inputs to the mac) you could put the Roland into one usb and the MOTU interface into the other. Then plug the mic into the MOTU and the headphones also into the MOTU, with local monitoring turned off. I haven't tried exactly this set up, but I've done something equivalent, with guitar amp with usb output into the mac, plus Focusrite interface into the other mac usb input (with mic attached) and this worked satisfactorily. As Dimitri says, use JamKazam to close the loop--a private session for testing.
Thanks for this….but the Roland has an internal audio interface.  If I plug the mic into the mixer and audio into the Roland that is USB to the Mac, I dont understand what the advantage is to having the Motu involved anywhere?

Thanks for this….but the Roland has an internal audio interface. If I plug the mic into the mixer and audio into the Roland that is USB to the Mac, I dont understand what the advantage is to having the Motu involved anywhere?
(12-14-2021, 09:15 PM)Bigvic Wrote: Thanks for this….but the Roland has an internal audio interface.  If I plug the mic into the mixer and audio into the Roland that is USB to the Mac, I dont understand what the advantage is to having the Motu involved anywhere?
>>>
You answered your own question in your first post.
>Having your headphones attached to your module you cannot disable/bypass local monitoring. Something you can do with an audio interface (=external sound card). Turn the knob all the way to 'playback' on your MOTU M4. Next to that, the MOTU is pretty quick.
It does take being in a session to get your signal back into the audio interface and thus your headphones.
If you'd want to play on your own - without going through JamKazam (or other platform/DAW) - turn the knob to 'input' for direct monitoring.
> Tamacti Jun <