• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mac Audio Gear?
What is an affordable suggestion for a two channel mixer that can connect to my Mac that has low latency and works with JamKazam?
(04-06-2020, 07:21 PM)pmaine Wrote: What is an affordable suggestion for a two channel mixer that can connect to my Mac that has low latency and works with JamKazam?

Hi, pmain! I've compiled a list of audio interfaces here in the forum that might help.  Right now, there are 25 audio interfaces that have been confirmed to work with JamKazam, and a fair amount of those work on macOS.  I'm not sure what you deem "affordable", but there are also a range of prices for those audio interfaces. I personally use a MOTU M4 ($220) that works well, but take a look at the list & see what might work for you.  Good luck!
Kevin
(04-06-2020, 07:50 PM)kkriner@gmail.com Wrote:
(04-06-2020, 07:21 PM)pmaine Wrote: What is an affordable suggestion for a two channel mixer that can connect to my Mac that has low latency and works with JamKazam?

Hi, pmain! I've compiled a list of audio interfaces here in the forum that might help.  Right now, there are 25 audio interfaces that have been confirmed to work with JamKazam, and a fair amount of those work on macOS.  I'm not sure what you deem "affordable", but there are also a range of prices for those audio interfaces. I personally use a MOTU M4 ($220) that works well, but take a look at the list & see what might work for you.  Good luck!
id like to see your list too!
(04-09-2020, 08:14 PM)johnk@byd.cc Wrote:

Maybe this should have gone into a new thread, but extending the top question a bit: in choosing an interface strictly for JamKazam purposes, does thunderbolt (1, 2 or 3) have any significant advantage over USB—or are the bottlenecks elsewhere?

I have been using an 11-yr old Apogee ONE (1st version, 2009) and an old condenser mic on a recent iMac (Catalina OS) with Fios (82 down, 29 up) and have been able to do a few test jams with up to 4 other people.

JamKazam reports my latency as only  ~10.3 ms. Jitter can bounce around up to ~40 - 60 at times. The Apogee ONE is only USB 1.1 (!)—but it works. We played acoustic instruments +/or sang, and many of the other folks used internal mic’s in their (not new) laptops. We could hear each other and were usually not terribly out of sync. We were jamming, but the sound quality was not great.

If I got a more modern interface (I’ve seen the interface list), should I expect any noticeable benefit?
(04-11-2020, 07:22 PM)waban Wrote:
(04-09-2020, 08:14 PM)johnk@byd.cc Wrote:

Maybe this should have gone into a new thread, but extending the top question a bit: in choosing an interface strictly for JamKazam purposes, does thunderbolt (1, 2 or 3) have any significant advantage over USB—or are the bottlenecks elsewhere?

I have been using an 11-yr old Apogee ONE (1st version, 2009) and an old condenser mic on a recent iMac (Catalina OS) with Fios (82 down, 29 up) and have been able to do a few test jams with up to 4 other people.

JamKazam reports my latency as only  ~10.3 ms. Jitter can bounce around up to ~40 - 60 at times. The Apogee ONE is only USB 1.1 (!)—but it works. We played acoustic instruments +/or sang, and many of the other folks used internal mic’s in their (not new) laptops. We could hear each other and were usually not terribly out of sync. We were jamming, but the sound quality was not great.

If I got a more modern interface (I’ve seen the interface list), should I expect any noticeable benefit?
>>>
Any millisecond of latency you can shave at your end will eventually be in favor of a smoother playing experience. Be it in your audio gear, your workstation or your router/internet config. What works for you hard to determine from behind a screen. Do your research. Then again, if it works for you now, why change?
waban

-------------------------
Curious about this too.  I would definitely recommend starting a new thread!  Maybe I will do it.