• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10 Antimalware Spike
Wondering if anyone is having the same problems that I've been having with Jamkazam spiking the Windows Antimalware service after the past handful of updates.  I let it ride for a few of these hoping things would straighten out, but no luck.

The spike is only 20-30% or so, but this is enough to tank my sessions - not so much with latency but with large amounts of static.  A few times during the sessions, the Antimalware service disappears and the sessions return to normal, but then it kicks in again.  I've tested this by shutting down the Jamkazam sessions and the Antimalware service always ends within 5-10 seconds and it does not come back - not until I fire up JK again, at least.

I have Jamkazam on my whitelist for apps in Windows Defender, so I'd like to know how I can fix this problem.  As you know, the God of Redmond does not allow us to tinker with Windows, so even when I shut off Defender (which I shouldn't have to do), the Antimalware service runs (can't shut this service off either through the Task Manager or Services).

Ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Greg
(04-03-2021, 11:53 PM)LittleReg1 Wrote: Wondering if anyone is having the same problems that I've been having with Jamkazam spiking the Windows Antimalware service after the past handful of updates.  I let it ride for a few of these hoping things would straighten out, but no luck.

The spike is only 20-30% or so, but this is enough to tank my sessions - not so much with latency but with large amounts of static.  A few times during the sessions, the Antimalware service disappears and the sessions return to normal, but then it kicks in again.  I've tested this by shutting down the Jamkazam sessions and the Antimalware service always ends within 5-10 seconds and it does not come back - not until I fire up JK again, at least.

I have Jamkazam on my whitelist for apps in Windows Defender, so I'd like to know how I can fix this problem.  As you know, the God of Redmond does not allow us to tinker with Windows, so even when I shut off Defender (which I shouldn't have to do), the Antimalware service runs (can't shut this service off either through the Task Manager or Services).

Ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Greg
Hi Greg, We had this hassle too. It is amazing how much rubbish runs in the background on a clean Windows install.  The only way round it seems to be to turn it off. Sordum.org has a useful utility which lets you do this from a command line, so it can go in a batch file. Also stopping WindowsUpdates was helpful, cause when they start collecting data during a gig, it is a nightmare.  Indeed I now stop the WindowsScheduler too which stops anything unexpected happening when you don't want it!   Good luck.... David
David:

Thanks for the info.  I schedule Windows Update - it never runs when I'm using my machine.  Intrigued about the Windows Defender tool, but the website's page is so fraught with ads and fake downloads that I'm not going to use my machine as a guinea pig.  Besides, JK should be architected for the 'typical' Windows user's environment, and provide either detailed instructions as to how to configure the O/S for a JK session, or switches inside the app that identify the problem spots JK is running into and address accordingly.  There should never be this unknown "outside" work that a user has to perform.

Greg
(05-03-2021, 03:32 PM)LittleReg1 Wrote: David:

Thanks for the info.  I schedule Windows Update - it never runs when I'm using my machine.  Intrigued about the Windows Defender tool, but the website's page is so fraught with ads and fake downloads that I'm not going to use my machine as a guinea pig.  Besides, JK should be architected for the 'typical' Windows user's environment, and provide either detailed instructions as to how to configure the O/S for a JK session, or switches inside the app that identify the problem spots JK is running into and address accordingly.  There should never be this unknown "outside" work that a user has to perform.

Greg
Unfortunately JK doesn't work as you say it should. However, we have been using it successfully as a band.  
There is a more complicated way of getting Windows Defender to stop properly. I liked the simplicity of the Sordum approach, and avoiding the ads/downloads have found that it works fine.  I could did out the long way if that would help....
I don't think I've communicated my original post properly.  I can stop Windows Defender...that's accomplished simply by opening the tool and stopping it.  However, this "malware executable", albeit linked to Defender, is its own process.  Nobody on the Internet seems to know all of the elements of its purpose and function, and there is certainly no way to shut it down.  I've stopped Defender for a JK session, but this has had zero effect on this malware process running.  All I know is are two things:  JK causes this process to launch; 2) I can't shut the process off.

Thanks,

Greg
i have not seen any notices but i would make sense why my jk app wont launch or allow me to reinstall