• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Debugging failed audio packets
Hi everyone. 

I'd be very grateful for some advice on how to find out where failed audio packets are failing to get through.

I've got a consistent problem whereby once we have more than 4 players in a session, I'm unable to hear any audio from Alan. In the newest release, the error notifications tell me I'm receiving probe packets but no audio packets from him. I'm guessing that something in my settings on my router or firewall blocks a route that jamkazam uses as things "fill up".

I use a Mac (macOS Big Sur 11.2) and an Airport Extreme Router attached to a Virgin Media hub in Modem mode.

I wondered could anyone advise on how to see where these packets are being blocked, or anywhere that shows how JamKazam tries to send these audio packets, so I can make sure all routes are open? Any advice on config to check on both of our jamkazam setups would be great too. 

Thank you!
I know from my own experience that the Airport Extreme is not a good choice for Jamkazam. It's obsolete and should not be used for security reasons. You would have better results with a modern router that will allow you to configure port forwarding.

AFAIK the Virgin Media hub is a wireless 4G device, similar to using a cell phone? Or is that a wired WAN modem?
(02-04-2021, 04:53 PM)Zlartibartfast Wrote: I know from my own experience that the Airport Extreme is not a good choice for Jamkazam. It's obsolete and should not be used for security reasons. You would have better results with a modern router that will allow you to configure port forwarding.

AFAIK the Virgin Media hub is a wireless 4G device, similar to using a cell phone? Or is that a wired WAN modem?
Thank you for the thoughts. The super hub is my main virgin modem/router coming in so I'm using it in wired WAN mode. I've tried it with the Airport just being an access point / switch rather than router, with the virgin box as the router, but will trial taking the apple box out of the loop completely. It's a tricky one that it only fails some of the time!
Ok I misunderstood how your network is set up. I the Airport is just acting as a switch then it's probably alright to use it.

If you have the ability to manage the super hub, look to see if you can setup port forwarding to your computer

https://jamkazam.freshdesk.com/support/s...our-router
(02-06-2021, 05:44 PM)Zlartibartfast Wrote: Ok I misunderstood how your network is set up. I the Airport is just acting as a switch then it's probably alright to use it.

If you have the ability to manage the super hub, look to see if you can setup port forwarding to your computer

Thank you. Yeah, I had set up the port forwarding on my Apple router when it was in that mode, and have also set up the same port forwarding when using the virgin super hub, both with the same results. The firewall logs on both routers and on my computer are all showing no traffic being blocked. I've found the jamkazam log on my Mac console but it looks like it clears down and starts again for each session, so I'll look at it straight away next time I try to jam with Alan...
(02-06-2021, 07:35 PM)tups Wrote:
(02-06-2021, 05:44 PM)Zlartibartfast Wrote: Ok I misunderstood how your network is set up. I the Airport is just acting as a switch then it's probably alright to use it.

Thank you. Yeah, I had set up the port forwarding on my Apple router when it was in that mode, and have also set up the same port forwarding when using the virgin super hub, both with the same results. The firewall logs on both routers and on my computer are all showing no traffic being blocked. I've found the jamkazam log on my Mac console but it looks like it clears down and starts again for each session, so I'll look at it straight away next time I try to jam with Alan...
Verify that your router can properly handle realtime audio packets under load using the buffer bloat test at dslreports.
(02-19-2021, 02:07 PM)StuartR Wrote:
(02-06-2021, 07:35 PM)tups Wrote:

Verify that your router can properly handle realtime audio packets under load using the buffer bloat test at dslreports.
I've not come across that before, thanks Stuart! 

I'm delighted to report that we've found that things have settled down this week, so fingers crossed whatever the gremlin was, whether on our systems or in the JK cloud, has been resolved. Thanks to everyone for your ideas.