• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixer into Jamkazam
Is there a better way to use my gear?  My "audio interface" is essentially a mixer.  Roland HS-5 Session Mixer intended to function as a 5-user headphone jam system.  But it gets quite good local/gear latency ( about 5ms) using it's ASIO driver over USB to Jamkazam.
I monitor from the main output of the HS-5 but I've now noticed that the personal mix in JK has no effect for my inputs.  I can mix what I'm hearing of my guitar and vocal on the HS-5, and I can affect levels of the other musicians using the personal mix in JK.

Using one of the five individual monitoring jacks on the HS-5 wouldn't give that flexibility because the guitar and vocal come in on separate inputs to the HS-5.

[color=var(--blue-link)]https://www.roland.com/us/products/hs-5/[/color]
Using Line 6 Helix or Roland Session Mixer as audio interface
(01-08-2021, 01:40 PM)carvinae185@gmail.com Wrote: Is there a better way to use my gear?  My "audio interface" is essentially a mixer.  Roland HS-5 Session Mixer intended to function as a 5-user headphone jam system.  But it gets quite good local/gear latency ( about 5ms) using it's ASIO driver over USB to Jamkazam.
I monitor from the main output of the HS-5 but I've now noticed that the personal mix in JK has no effect for my inputs.  I can mix what I'm hearing of my guitar and vocal on the HS-5, and I can affect levels of the other musicians using the personal mix in JK.

Using one of the five individual monitoring jacks on the HS-5 wouldn't give that flexibility because the guitar and vocal come in on separate inputs to the HS-5.

Hi,
I am running through a mixer, a MACKIE ProFX12v3. What you experience is true for quite a few mixers or "abused audio gear" like guitar-pedals, combo-amps with USB etc. Those are designed to record a track, process it offline on a PC , and playback at some time.
For JKZ you'll need 
- a bidirectional (concurrent) audio-if (in fact, that should be true for yours)
- the option to turn off the so called "local monitor". 
But the latter is what your Roland is actually designed to, being a local monitor.

On my console there is a tuning knob to select the output to be either "local inputs", or the USB1/2 signal, or a mix. I need to turn that fully into the "USB" position to avoid local monitoring. Other consoles have a switch that does the same, e.g. newer YAMAHA.

Try two things (I checked the manual and didn't find a hint..)
- play a song (mp3, youtube or whatever) from your PC into the audio-interface. You'll need to configure the driver, or Windows audio settings, potentially
- While the song is playing, play your instrument into the HS-5 and set the mix (personal) so that you can ONLY hear the playback, but not your instrument. Make sure your insturment is however active on the input, and levels are up.

If you can'T reach that, it means you will hear your instrument with zero latency from your HS-5, and never be in sync (as far as that is possible) with other players in the session.
(01-08-2021, 06:35 PM)MrFourstrings Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 01:40 PM)carvinae185@gmail.com Wrote: Is there a better way to use my gear?  My "audio interface" is essentially a mixer.  Roland HS-5 Session Mixer intended to function as a 5-user headphone jam system.  But it gets quite good local/gear latency ( about 5ms) using it's ASIO driver over USB to Jamkazam.

Hi,
I am running through a mixer, a MACKIE ProFX12v3. What you experience is true for quite a few mixers or "abused audio gear" like guitar-pedals, combo-amps with USB etc. Those are designed to record a track, process it offline on a PC , and playback at some time.
For JKZ you'll need 
- a bidirectional (concurrent) audio-if (in fact, that should be true for yours)
- the option to turn off the so called "local monitor". 
But the latter is what your Roland is actually designed to, being a local monitor.

On my console there is a tuning knob to select the output to be either "local inputs", or the USB1/2 signal, or a mix. I need to turn that fully into the "USB" position to avoid local monitoring. Other consoles have a switch that does the same, e.g. newer YAMAHA.

Try two things (I checked the manual and didn't find a hint..)
- play a song (mp3, youtube or whatever) from your PC into the audio-interface. You'll need to configure the driver, or Windows audio settings, potentially
- While the song is playing, play your instrument into the HS-5 and set the mix (personal) so that you can ONLY hear the playback, but not your instrument. Make sure your insturment is however active on the input, and levels are up.

If you can'T reach that, it means you will hear your instrument with zero latency from your HS-5, and never be in sync (as far as that is possible) with other players in the session.

Thanks for that.   I forgot to mention that we always play backing tracks, usually just drums, via jamkazam, and the volume slider for those does affect what I hear monitoring the main output of my HS-5.   I haven't had any significant latency issues when jamming with my buddies.
Now I'm beginning to wonder if the personal mix sliders seemed to not do anything because I was the only one in the private session during testing.
If I thought it would improve things I'd probably sell the HS-5 and get a six channel Mackie.

Mackie ProFX6v3 6-channel Mixer with USB and Effects
Just sharing....

I’ve tried all sorts of different configurations for my setup, for fun mostly. I have a 8 I/O MOTU interface and when I started using JK I configured all 8 I/O which translated to 4 Stereo Tracks into JK

T1 Stereo Vocals (I have a vocal harmonizer which creates beautiful stereo harmonies - TC Helicon VoiceLive3)

T2 Stereo Guitar coming from the VoiceLice since it is also a combo guitar multi effects, stereo out.

T3 Stereo Roland GR-55 for my 13 Pin guitar

T4 Stereo Digitech SDRM or Digitech Trio Plus. I have a mini mixer switcher and run a feed from my other laptop or mp3 player in case I want to bring in multiple sources in T4

At first, I relied mostly on the MOTU’s interface Software directly (no hardware mixer), much like what you have but I personally didn’t like the idea of using my trackpad/mouse to make adjustments. Then I put a hardware mixer in front of everything so that I can easily dial in my sound via the EQ settings, Panning, etc via sliders and knobx. The Mixer has 8 direct outs so i still have 4 stereo tracks in JK.

Previous to this, at one point I did have a hardware mixer in front of the interface and Sub'd all mixer channels down to the Main L/R outs to my Audio Interface 1 & 2. This worked great too and yes, was more simple because you only have to mess with 2 tracks in JK when working with your own Mix in Jk. But, then I started recording and needed to isolate the vocals, guitar, synth, drums, etc..

I say, to each his/her own with your setup, but it should support what you want your outcome to be. If you're into turning knobs, stepping on pedals, it's all hardware. Otherwise it's DAWs and VST routing. I have learned a lot with changing things up, and looking for a way to hook up my vitamix
Vitamix LOL. What I have works pretty well but it was a little disappointing that the personal JK mix won't change what I hear of my own tracks. Not a big deal as my combo interface/mixer has knobs to turn for that. I'm guessing my HS-5 has no way to turn off local monitoring, no such switch I can find. I just switched from FLAC to OGG backing tracks for drums and it appears I can now dial frame size down to 2ms from 2.5 without glitches, yielding 4.7 ms
local latency. The OGGs are about a fifth the size of the FLACs and created at about 192 kb/s instead of the
~ 900 kb/s for the FLACs
(01-09-2021, 01:53 AM)carvinae185@gmail.com Wrote: Vitamix  LOL.    What I have works pretty well but it was a little disappointing that the personal JK mix won't change what I hear of my own tracks.  Not a big deal as my combo interface/mixer has knobs to turn for that.  I'm guessing my HS-5 has no way to turn off local monitoring, no such switch I can find.  I just switched from FLAC to OGG backing tracks for drums and it appears I can now dial frame size down to 2ms from 2.5 without glitches, yielding 4.7 ms
local latency.  The OGGs are about a fifth the size of the FLACs and created at about 192 kb/s instead of the
~ 900 kb/s for the FLACs

You're going to make me dizzy with your postings. lol. But i think i addressed some of the related question about direct monitoring for your Roland. Which by the way, looks very cool. I have feeling though based on my response to your other posting, perhaps there is a way of getting a better mix.

https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.php?tid=1886