• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focusrite Solo (2nd Gen) driver problem
I was in a two person session, where we were getting intermittent loud bursts of static/noise that were bad enough to make us stop.

My Audio configuration report says "1. BAD Driver.  Unpredictable latency".   I'm not sure why.   I have the latest Solo driver 4.63.24 with firmware 1052 (not sure if that's the latest or not.).   Edit-- Found there's a new driver, 4.65.5.   Will try that  EdIt 2--- this new driver shows up as 21.0ms latency in a solo session ,where the 4.63.24 driver showed up as 0.  I don't understand this at all.

My friend's report had "bad sample rate 44.1" on his Presonus 96.  My sample rate is 48000, buffer size of *120* according to .    We are only 5-8 miles apart geographically.

All the other reported settings were 'excellent'

He will try to adjust his sample rate to 48k, though his "Ultimate Control" panel was missing the controls for this.

Where should we focus our attention to address this?
Thanks.
Jim
(01-05-2021, 02:38 AM)jimdibb Wrote: I was in a two person session, where we were getting intermittent loud bursts of static/noise that were bad enough to make us stop.

My Audio configuration report says "1. BAD Driver.  Unpredictable latency".   I'm not sure why.   I have the latest Solo driver 4.63.24 with firmware 1052 (not sure if that's the latest or not.).   Edit-- Found there's a new driver, 4.65.5.   Will try that  EdIt 2--- this new driver shows up as 21.0ms latency in a solo session ,where the 4.63.24 driver showed up as 0.  I don't understand this at all.

My friend's report had "bad sample rate 44.1" on his Presonus 96.  My sample rate is 48000, buffer size of *120* according to .    We are only 5-8 miles apart geographically.

All the other reported settings were 'excellent'

He will try to adjust his sample rate to 48k, though his "Ultimate Control" panel was missing the controls for this.

Where should we focus our attention to address this?
Thanks.
Jim
I'm assuming you're both running Windows PC's. Have you verified that both of these machines can properly handle real-time audio? If not, you can search this forum for references to the Latencymon app as well as a good tuning document (Glitchfree). Even though your problem may well be driver specific, you need to tune your machines first.
Did you try framesize 2 in the initial setup? That worked for me on a Focusrite 2i2 3rd, resulting in 8 ms device latency.
(01-05-2021, 08:49 AM)JnyBG Wrote: Did you try framesize 2 in the initial setup? That worked for me on a Focusrite 2i2 3rd, resulting in 8 ms device latency.
Hi,
This does seem to be the answer on my end at least, and with the latest driver.  The measured latency went from 20+ to 7.46.  

To the guy above about optimizing, I ran the latencymon and the worst case it reported was about 480 us, no problem for realtime audio.  Though I'm not sure I used it right.  Maybe I should use it while trying to do a session, rather than just sitting idle?  

This framesize fix looks promising though.
Thanks.
Jim
(01-06-2021, 03:06 AM)jimdibb Wrote:
(01-05-2021, 08:49 AM)JnyBG Wrote: Did you try framesize 2 in the initial setup? That worked for me on a Focusrite 2i2 3rd, resulting in 8 ms device latency.
Hi,
This does seem to be the answer on my end at least, and with the latest driver.  The measured latency went from 20+ to 7.46.  

To the guy above about optimizing, I ran the latencymon and the worst case it reported was about 480 us, no problem for realtime audio.  Though I'm not sure I used it right.  Maybe I should use it while trying to do a session, rather than just sitting idle?  

This framesize fix looks promising though.
Thanks.
Jim
Be sure you run Latencymon for at least 5 minutes so some of the drivers (like ACPI) have time to show their hand.