• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chat microphone problem
Hello

I have been using this simple little plastic microphone since I joined in April 2020. Worked perfectly.

But about one month ago, it started being garbled, total static. (about the same time as the infamous Dec upgrade ?) 

If I go into Windows 10 parameters and into audio options, I can monitor the microphone thru the speakers... the microphone still works flawlessly.
If I do a "JamChat setup" in Jamkazam Audio Settings, I can create a JamChat audio gear, and when I start a Private session, it works perfectly too !

But activiating a JamChat audio gear does not allow me to have my guitar in the session !

If I try to start a Private session, with my Guitar audio gear setup activated and no "chat microphone", then it blocks saying it did not find the chat gear.
(had to delete the JamChat gear and restart Jamkazam to have the guitar working properly again !)

My guitar is plugged in directly into the LINE entry of my computer and I use WDM as a driver.
The microphone is plug into the "FRONT MIC" entry of my computer and also use WDM.

So... am I missing something ? 
Or has the december update done something to the chat microphone setups !?!

Thanks !
(12-30-2020, 07:58 PM)jproy Wrote: Hello

I have been using this simple little plastic microphone since I joined in April 2020. Worked perfectly.

But about one month ago, it started being garbled, total static. (about the same time as the infamous Dec upgrade ?) 

If I go into Windows 10 parameters and into audio options, I can monitor the microphone thru the speakers... the microphone still works flawlessly.
If I do a "JamChat setup" in Jamkazam Audio Settings, I can create a JamChat audio gear, and when I start a Private session, it works perfectly too !

But activiating a JamChat audio gear does not allow me to have my guitar in the session !

If I try to start a Private session, with my Guitar audio gear setup activated and no "chat microphone", then it blocks saying it did not find the chat gear.
(had to delete the JamChat gear and restart Jamkazam to have the guitar working properly again !)

My guitar is plugged in directly into the LINE entry of my computer and I use WDM as a driver.
The microphone is plug into the "FRONT MIC" entry of my computer and also use WDM.

So... am I missing something ? 
Or has the december update done something to the chat microphone setups !?!

Thanks !
I don't know about the December updates (there were several, I've lost count). It may be time for you to consider the addition of a hardware audio interface with it's vendor-supplied ASIO driver. You'll get much lower latency of course and you won't be fighting Windows shared use of these resources.
Well, it is a running gag in our band...
my investment so far was 5$ for a 1/4 to 1/8 jack... and I have the best audio latency : 6ms...
So far, I've seen a bandmember wrestle with a Roland audio card and a M-Audio M-track audio card, only to have worst setups...
I'm disappointed that my microphone, for no real fault of mine, stopped working after 6+ months.

Still looking for tips !
New info !

I remembered that I changed my framesize in early december, from 10ms to 2ms... greatly improved my guitar sound !
But this is also what scrapped my microphone!

I resetted the framesize to 10ms and the microphone is clear (but the guitar... ).
At 5ms, same crakling...

So, it has to do with the framesize... any clues if there is another parameter in Windows that would make the microphone work at 2ms ???
(01-03-2021, 01:34 AM)jproy Wrote: New info !

I remembered that I changed my framesize in early december, from 10ms to 2ms... greatly improved my guitar sound !
But this is also what scrapped my microphone!

I resetted the framesize to 10ms and the microphone is clear (but the guitar... ).
At 5ms, same crakling...

So, it has to do with the framesize... any clues if there is another parameter in Windows that would make the microphone work at 2ms ???
I still think you'll be in much better shape if you use a hardware audio interface rather than depending on the high-latency, shared audio subsystem in Windows.