• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to Set Up for Stereo?
I'm trying to set up a stereo input in JamKazam and the solution is eluding me. It seems like I've set everything up right and I see both channels in my session as well as in the power mixer. I can pan left and right and it works through my headphones. However, everyone else in the session only hears it coming in mono. They can pan my feed left and right but they don't hear the stereo mix I'm sending. What am I missing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ray
"It seems like I've set everything up right ..."!?

How did you set it up? The whole system ...?
(07-19-2020, 09:22 PM)Hans Peter Augustesen Wrote: "It seems like I've set everything up right ..."!?

How did you set it up? The whole system ...?

Apologies, I should have been more specific...

Here is my signal path...

Instruments and Mic into Mixer
Stereo output of mixer going into Channel 1 and 2 on the Audio Interface
JamKazam set up for 2 input channels
JamKazam panned hard left for Channel 1 and hard right for Channel 2

When I pan my Mic left on the mixer, I can hear it go to the left channel in JamKazam. This is verified by the signal level in the power mixer. However, when testing with someone else in a session, they say it's still coming in center, not left. I'm curious if JamKazam sends out a combined mono signal regardless of local setup. 

Ray
That sounds like a proper setup.
I do something of the same - my inputs 3 and 4 are combined into a stereo track in JamKazam.
Hm!

Yes, JamKazam sends out a stereo signal

Well - maybe I misunderstood.
You are maybe only in need of one track - a stereo track.

Do you have two tracks in JamKazam? Two mono?
Thanks Hans.

I took some screenshots and am attaching them here. I hope that the pictures will do a better job of explaining my connection.

Here is my Audio Input Settings.

This is the session settings showing that Track-1 is paned hard left and Track-2 is panned hard right

This is my power mixer input stream

Through my headphones, when I pan the mic left on my physical mixer, I can see the left channel level meter go up corresponding with my voice speaking into the mic and hear the audio coming through the left side. However, anyone else in the session will hear it coming through center, not panned left. 

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. As mentioned, I think this is set up correctly.

Ray
In your case, I would definitely choose to use only one track in JamKazam - a stereo track.
As I described further up.
Then you should not have those problems.

But you might have a special reason for having two tracks !?
(07-20-2020, 01:08 PM)Hans Peter Augustesen Wrote: In your case, I would definitely choose to use only one track in JamKazam - a stereo track.

Thanks for the advice Hans but I'm not sure what you mean by stereo track. Do you mean that by using only one input track, it is set up as stereo? I tried removing one of the input tracks and although I get the audio coming in on both left and right, panning on my physical mixer does not pan in the headphones. I also don't see how it is possible to do it with one input channel. Stereo inputs would require left and right output from the physical mixer to be combined into a TRS input. The audio interfaces have TS input only. 

Ray
I sometimes use a mixer, too.

The mixers main stereo out is then with two cables connected to input 3 and 4 on my audio interface. And those input 3 and 4 are combined into a stereo track in JamKazam (as I descibed earlier).

I have input 1 on the audio interface for voice microphone - It is configured to be a mono track in JamKazam (exactly the same signal in both ears, that is).
And input 2 is for electric guitar. That is also a mono track (exactly the same signal in both ears, that is).

And then input 3 and 4 are configured to be a stereo track in JamKazam - for a mixer, sometimes (other times it can be another stereo device).
On the mixer I can direct the sound to the left or right with the help af the panning functions - if needed
(07-20-2020, 03:31 PM)raychew Wrote:
(07-20-2020, 01:08 PM)Hans Peter Augustesen Wrote: In your case, I would definitely choose to use only one track in JamKazam - a stereo track.

Thanks for the advice Hans but I'm not sure what you mean by stereo track. Do you mean that by using only one input track, it is set up as stereo? I tried removing one of the input tracks and although I get the audio coming in on both left and right, panning on my physical mixer does not pan in the headphones. I also don't see how it is possible to do it with one input channel. Stereo inputs would require left and right output from the physical mixer to be combined into a TRS input. The audio interfaces have TS input only. 

Ray
Here are some screenshots of my setup >

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Under your Audio (Input 1), click the yellow update link. Add the other channel (2). This will be the other channel of your interface). This makes Audio Input 1, the Stereo track you're looking for Smile. Get rid of the Audio Input 2. This way you can have full pan control from your mixer.