• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux Application
I would really like to try Jamkazam but my PC uses Linux.  I haven't found another service that looks as though it would work for more than 1 musician.  I haven't found a
Jamkazam app for Linux although there seems to be a reserved space for it in the downloads section.  If the app is written in Java I can help with coding.  I would imagine the Mac version would be a good basis for development.  

Would I be correct to think the app is designed as a Peer-to-peer mesh network node, with call set up via the central server?

Regards

Emma
A Linux version is coming, in a month or so. Search - and you will find messages about it.

Yes, I think JamKazam is written in Java. At least I have been told that.

Yes, JamKazam is peer-to-peer.
(06-20-2020, 02:25 PM)emma Wrote: I would really like to try Jamkazam but my PC uses Linux.  I haven't found another service that looks as though it would work for more than 1 musician.  I haven't found a
Jamkazam app for Linux although there seems to be a reserved space for it in the downloads section.  If the app is written in Java I can help with coding.  I would imagine the Mac version would be a good basis for development.  

Would I be correct to think the app is designed as a Peer-to-peer mesh network node, with call set up via the central server?

Regards

Emma
>>>
Emma, Linux client is 'under development'. (as per the devs 17/4)
You are correct re. P2P.
There is a (very) functional 'other service' that works with (a lot) more than one musician and is available for Win/macOS/Linux - Google 'Jamulus'. This however is not p2p but 'central server' based (that you could run yourself as well) It's open source. And like every other, has it's flaws as well.
Thank you.

I also looked at Jammr a year or so ago, which was not what I wanted. Jamulus would work for our piano solo/recital group. However, I don't want to buy and administer a website/public facing server. It is what has put me off building a WebRTC P2P solution.

Zoom Pro Original Sound (the ability to switch off speech audio processing) is good enough but too expensive for the few in our society willing to tackle the technical challenges alone. Original Sound is not available for Linux PCs and I don't see Zoom Pro developers giving Linux much attention while they battle it out with Google, Microsoft, Apple et al in the business video conferencing market.

I am really glad Jamkazam has made some advances toward a Linux version. I think JamKazam is the right design based on what I have read; and it should get better and support bigger ensembles as people upgrade to Gigabit FTTP broadband (gigabit Internet circuits on optical fibre to the premises) and faster CPUs.
(06-20-2020, 04:15 PM)emma Wrote: Thank you. 

I also looked at Jammr a year or so ago, which was not what I wanted.  Jamulus would work for our piano solo/recital group.  However, I don't want to buy and administer a website/public facing server.  It is what has put me off building a WebRTC P2P solution. 

Zoom Pro Original Sound (the ability to switch off speech audio processing) is good enough but too expensive for the few in our society willing to tackle the technical challenges alone.  Original Sound is not available for Linux PCs and I don't see Zoom Pro developers giving Linux much attention while they battle it out with Google, Microsoft, Apple et al  in the business video conferencing market. 

I am really glad Jamkazam has made some advances toward a Linux version.  I think JamKazam is the right design based on what I have read; and it should get better and support bigger ensembles as people upgrade to Gigabit FTTP broadband (gigabit Internet circuits on optical fibre to the premises) and faster CPUs.
>>>
You don't really need to buy anything nor administer very much in most cases.
You can run the server on the same machine you are jamming on yourself and only have the server up when you want it to be. it is very light weight and open source. Only one port would need to be forwarded to run the server. It's a five minute job and could be totally command line driven if that's what you prefer. Apart from that there are many 'public' servers freely available for general use.

I use both JamKazam (band rehearsals and general meeting place) and Jamulus for a specific project and I run two Jamulus 'rooms' as a general service for friends and colleagues.
I too am a LINUX user - Ubuntu Studio 20.04.  I play saxes, mainly a Conn 12M in our local blues jam, although I also pay tenor, alto, and soprano.

I've been a UN*X administrator since 1985, OS at home since 1986.  I'd be happy to assist should JamKazam have a beta version for LINUX for testing.

Michael Squires
You can download the Linux beta here - https://jamkazam-repo.s3.amazonaws.com/jk_linux.tar.xz. This beta does not have video support.
1. Expand the file change to the directory
2. Run the app by running ./run.sh
3. You can run with elevated realtime privilege which gives for steadier IO rate by modifying the run command to
sudo LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$APP_DIR/QtLibs:$APP_DIR/libs:$APP_DIR/QtPlugins:$APP_DIR/Libs:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH QT_QPA_PLATFORM_PLUGIN_PATH=$APP_DIR/QtPlugins/plugins ./JamKazam -rf
(11-17-2020, 08:54 PM)jamjam Wrote: You can download the Linux beta here - https://jamkazam-repo.s3.amazonaws.com/l...020.tar.xz. This beta does not have video support.
3. You can run with elevated realtime privilege which gives for steadier IO rate by modifying the run command to
sudo LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$APP_DIR/QtLibs:$APP_DIR/libs:$APP_DIR/QtPlugins:$APP_DIR/Libs:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH QT_QPA_PLATFORM_PLUGIN_PATH=$APP_DIR/QtPlugins/plugins ./JamKazam -rf
Thank you.  I have downloaded the tarball to Ubuntu Studio 20.04 (using the low-latency kernel) will will be experimenting with it.  I will be using a PerSonus 24c interface with a Dell T7600 2.4 Ghz Xeon CPU, 16GB, connected to my Comcast router via a GigE connection.  The T7600 is an older (2015) Dell scientific workstation that seems to be significantly faster than my desktop which is an old Supermicro X7DAE dual quad core 2 Ghz Xeon.  

There is a FreeBSD firewall between my home network and the Comcast router (Comcast's idea of a firewall is to block protocols that could cause legal problems, primarily torrent); I may have to bypass that.  I have clocked 84 MB/sec down, 6MB/sec up using dslreports.com.  The FreeBSD firewall has a 100MB/sec interface to Comcast and I'll probably have to upgrade that, the original router I got from Comcast only supported 100MB/sec.

The PC dual-boots Ubuntu Studio or MS Windows 10 Pro, so I'll be able to compare performance, I think.

For other users:  I downloaded the tarball into the Engrampa library manager which comes standard with Ubuntu Studio which was a download option in Firefox and which opened the tarball without problems.  I assume that the app is standard with Ubuntu, not just Studio.  I didn't try to download it and then unpack it.

I have quite a bit of experience with UN*X going back to 1985 (have run my home system on some form of UN*X since 1985) but have had limited experience with LINUX.  I do have quite a bit of experience installing packages on various systems and working with developers on problems, so I hope to be as helpful as possible in getting this package to work on as many platforms as possible.

My primary instrument is a Conn 12M baritone sax and I'm interested in blues/jazz/rock.  I've mostly played with pick-up bands at local blues jams with one pro gig with a local funk band in their horn section.

Thank you!

Mike Squires
michael.leslie.squires@gmail.com
(06-20-2020, 02:25 PM)emma Wrote: I would really like to try Jamkazam but my PC uses Linux.  I haven't found another service that looks as though it would work for more than 1 musician.  I haven't found a

Regards

Emma
I'm also looking forward to using JamKazam on Linux. There's also an app called Jammr that works on Linux. However, it only supports audio.
(11-17-2020, 08:54 PM)jamjam Wrote: You can download the Linux beta here - https://jamkazam-repo.s3.amazonaws.com/jk_linux.tar.xz. This beta does not have video support.

Thank you. That is great news.  After months of lockdown, not having video sounds a positive thing to me.

I have downloaded a copy.  I will give it a go as soon as I can set aside some time. 
That said, it might take me a while to do that.  I need to update the operating system, which should have libm.so.6 version 2.27.  I'm thinking Christmas might be quiet this year!  I hope that will be soon enough.

A few questions pop into mind.
  • Where would you like me to send feedback?  I am comforatble using JIRA or similar.  
  • What information are you interested in at this stage?  I presume Operating System version, audio/JACK configuration, but what about bugs, performance and latency (if I can think of a way to measure that)?  
Emma