• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie HELP
Hi
   I'm a nerd.....but getting this to work is grrrrr   I have years as a Pro PC mavin and Pro Musician, and Pro DJ
I'm using W7 (SSD ,  I5 @ 2.6 with 12gigs ram) a Focusrite 2i4 ( have 2 of them  V1 and V2) ( newest dirver), and use them Professionally with 0 problems 
I use Guitar rig 5 in my act with 100% pleasure and zero problems
I use Loops and Full songs to play over with no problems

I use Presonus and Cakewalk DAW....works great
I'm in NYC Metro with a great Cable INet system ( Optimum)

So now I'm venturing into your realm :-)

Only 1 out of 10 times have I gotten to full Green, ...............   grrrrrrr
I wanted to try using Guitar Rig to play a background track and I'd play along as a typically do.........and no dice
then it was back to setup failure upon failure ! grrrr

can anyone please HELP  :-) !!!

What Sample Rate ?
and what Bit Rate please ?

The Focusrite keeps reverting to a high bit rate?
Your bitrate setting won't matter - you can input 24 bit but the data stream is compressed (akin to MP3)

I use 48KHz, mainly because all my hardware is clocked to 48, and my jam partner is using 48, and we don't have problems with it. 44.1 is chosen by others, also no problems that I know of

You will NEVER get "green across the board" and you don't need to. Sometimes I see myself green, then amber, then red, then green again - and never hear anything change. I don't think the "metering" of those parameters is very accurate. Trust your ears, not just your eyes.

Regarding the Guitar Rig issue - I can't speak to that, but there are some threads around here that relate to the topic, so searching might be helpful
(06-05-2020, 04:15 PM)Zlartibartfast Wrote: Your bitrate setting won't matter - you can input 24 bit but the data stream is compressed (akin to MP3)

I use 48KHz, mainly because all my hardware is clocked to 48, and my jam partner is using 48, and we don't have problems with it. 44.1 is chosen by others, also no problems that I know of

You will NEVER get "green across the board" and you don't need to. Sometimes I see myself green, then amber, then red, then green again - and never hear anything change. I don't think the "metering" of those parameters is very accurate. Trust your ears, not just your eyes.

Regarding the Guitar Rig issue - I can't speak to that, but there are some threads around here that relate to the topic, so searching might be helpful

Thank you
Some said  96000 Sample rate......so thats whats 'working'.......and bit rate seems to want to be below 64
I still trying.............
Welcome, and I totally understand your frustration.  Here are some pointers:
For sample rate and bit rate, start with 44,100Hz, 16-bit; and choose the lowest latency/buffer setting that works with minimal clicking.  Yeah, you haven't used those 'old skool' settings in recording for years, but this is jamming, not studio recording.  And I do mean "minimal" (tolerable) and not necessarily "no clipping", as the biggest challenge in jamming over the Internet is total latency between players, and your interface's contribution to the latency is important.  This means you will likely have to keep adjusting interface settings each time you use and audio app.  If the Focusrite app doesn't keep the settings for you, try setting it in a blank session in Presonus or CW first, exit the DAW, and then go into JamKazam.
As for the green:  kepp in mind that yellow sort of represents about a 25% degradation in latency.  If your interface latency is a very small number, like 4ms, than a 25% degradation to about 5ms may cause it to go yellow.  But you can't hear that 1ms difference, so dont sweat it.  But if your interface latency is marginal to begin with (like, greater than 10ms), then a 25% degradation would be noticeable.  The jitter is the variation in that latency, and these typically fluctuate throughout sessions, as your computer does other things in the background.  Obviously closing all other apps and optimizing your PC for max performance (like DAWs) helps a lot.  Now the (possible) bad news:  even though JamKazam is a 64-bit Windows app, it ONLY supports 32-bit versions of VST effects. (those installed under the "Program Files (x86)" folder).  I see from the NI website that GuitarRig 5 requires 64-bit Windows, but it doesn't state whether both 64 and 32-bit versions of the VST exist in the download, and I'm seeing mixed info online.  If there's a guitar rig .dll in that (x86) folder, and JamKazam has been pointed to that folder during the audio setup, you should be able to load GR5 as an audio FX on your guitar channel.  If not, then you will have to look at other VSTs (such as Overloud TH3 CW edition in Cakewalk, which loads as 64 and 32-bit), although I am not aware of any that include the looping or tape deck functionality of GR.
Hope this helps
(06-05-2020, 04:20 PM)mm@soundsight.net Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 04:15 PM)Zlartibartfast Wrote: Your bitrate setting won't matter - you can input 24 bit but the data stream is compressed (akin to MP3)

Thank you
Some said  96000 Sample rate......so thats whats 'working'.......and bit rate seems to want to be below 64
I still trying.............

(06-05-2020, 04:23 PM)blandis Wrote: Welcome, and I totally understand your frustration.  Here are some pointers:
For sample rate and bit rate, start with 44,100Hz, 16-bit; and choose the lowest latency/buffer setting that works with minimal clicking.  Yeah, you haven't used those 'old skool' settings in recording for years, but this is jamming, not studio recording.  And I do mean "minimal" (tolerable) and not necessarily "no clipping", as the biggest challenge in jamming over the Internet is total latency between players, and your interface's contribution to the latency is important.  This means you will likely have to keep adjusting interface settings each time you use and audio app.  If the Focusrite app doesn't keep the settings for you, try setting it in a blank session in Presonus or CW first, exit the DAW, and then go into JamKazam.
As for the green:  kepp in mind that yellow sort of represents about a 25% degradation in latency.  If your interface latency is a very small number, like 4ms, than a 25% degradation to about 5ms may cause it to go yellow.  But you can't hear that 1ms difference, so dont sweat it.  But if your interface latency is marginal to begin with (like, greater than 10ms), then a 25% degradation would be noticeable.  The jitter is the variation in that latency, and these typically fluctuate throughout sessions, as your computer does other things in the background.  Obviously closing all other apps and optimizing your PC for max performance (like DAWs) helps a lot.  Now the (possible) bad news:  even though JamKazam is a 64-bit Windows app, it ONLY supports 32-bit versions of VST effects. (those installed under the "Program Files (x86)" folder).  I see from the NI website that GuitarRig 5 requires 64-bit Windows, but it doesn't state whether both 64 and 32-bit versions of the VST exist in the download, and I'm seeing mixed info online.  If there's a guitar rig .dll in that (x86) folder, and JamKazam has been pointed to that folder during the audio setup, you should be able to load GR5 as an audio FX on your guitar channel.  If not, then you will have to look at other VSTs (such as Overloud TH3 CW edition in Cakewalk, which loads as 64 and 32-bit), although I am not aware of any that include the looping or tape deck functionality of GR.
Hope this helps

Very Kind of you
I'm having multiple problems now   grrrr
Maybe cause of Guitar Rig  ( Video subsystem failures )

I can demo JamK by myself with NO problem!  Using the built in Looper even ! :-)))

Using 44.1 or 48 didn't seem to wanna work

Andddd I tried to join a public jam and could not hear anyone  :-(((((((((((
Anyone know of what setting in my router could be doing this?
Consider info discussed here:
https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.php?tid=806

FWIW, I checked my router settings, but made no changes to them to support JamKazam. Are you hard-wired to your router? Windows 7 firewall settings must be unblocked to allow comms to flow. That should have popped up during the client install, if not check Windows security settings
(06-05-2020, 05:21 PM)blandis Wrote: Consider info discussed here:
https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.php?tid=806

FWIW, I checked my router settings, but made no changes to them to support JamKazam.  Are you hard-wired to your router?  Windows 7 firewall settings must be unblocked to allow comms to flow.  That should have popped up during the client install, if not check Windows security settings
Thanks
Do I need a Public IP ?
not really, but you should check to be sure that you either have UPnP enabled, or you setup a port forwarding rule to your computer (the first option is much easier).

This thing about "no audio" has been plaguing jammers for a while. It's a top priority for the devs to resolve. On thing that might help is for you to identify some folks who are "in you neighborhood" meaning look to your geographical area for partners. East coast -> West coast can be dicey. Limit the number of people in a session by setting up an RSVP session. Hit the "resync" button if someone loses audio. Wait a few minutes, try again.

Lastly, check to see if there's other high-priority traffic on your home network. Occasionally I have trouble with JK when my wife is working from home through her VPN.

Now that thing about not being able to use a sample rate other than 96kHz sounds like an issue with your system config, and might be causing problems with you getting connected to others. In my rig, Logic (my DAW) has the last word on sample rate, unless it is not running. Secondly, the Saffire MixControl sets the sample rate for my interface. The JK client detected that I was already using 48, and I accepted those settings. I suggest you remove your audio profile in JamKazam, then verify you have a sample rate of either 44.1 or 48 kHz set on your interface before setting it up in JamKazam again. You should not be stuck with using 96
(06-05-2020, 05:27 PM)Zlartibartfast Wrote: not really, but you should check to be sure that you either have UPnP enabled, or you setup a port forwarding rule to your computer (the first option is much easier).

This thing about "no audio" has been plaguing jammers for a while. It's a top priority for the devs to resolve. On thing that might help is for you to identify some folks who are "in you neighborhood" meaning look to your geographical area for partners. East coast -> West coast can be dicey. Limit the number of people in a session by setting up an RSVP session. Hit the "resync" button if someone loses audio. Wait a few minutes, try again.

Lastly, check to see if there's other high-priority traffic on your home network. Occasionally I have trouble with JK when my wife is working from home through her VPN.

Now that thing about not being able to use a sample rate other than 96kHz sounds like an issue with your system config, and might be causing problems with you getting connected to others. In my rig, Logic (my DAW) has the last word on sample rate, unless it is not running. Secondly, the Saffire MixControl sets the sample rate for my interface. The JK client detected that I was already using 48, and I accepted those settings. I suggest you remove your audio profile in JamKazam, then verify you have a sample rate of either 44.1 or 48 kHz set on your interface before setting it up in JamKazam again. You should not be stuck with using 96

Thank you
I'm temp worn out
I'll try later
(06-05-2020, 03:54 PM)mm@soundsight.net Wrote: Hi
   I'm a nerd.....but getting this to work is grrrrr   I have years as a Pro PC mavin and Pro Musician, and Pro DJ
I'm using W7 (SSD ,  I5 @ 2.6 with 12gigs ram) a Focusrite 2i4 ( have 2 of them  V1 and V2) ( newest dirver), and use them Professionally with 0 problems 
I use Guitar rig 5 in my act with 100% pleasure and zero problems
I use Loops and Full songs to play over with no problems

I use Presonus and Cakewalk DAW....works great
I'm in NYC Metro with a great Cable INet system ( Optimum)

So now I'm venturing into your realm :-)

Only 1 out of 10 times have I gotten to full Green, ...............   grrrrrrr
I wanted to try using Guitar Rig to play a background track and I'd play along as a typically do.........and no dice
then it was back to setup failure upon failure ! grrrr

can anyone please HELP  :-) !!!

What Sample Rate ?
and what Bit Rate please ?

The Focusrite keeps reverting to a high bit rate?

>>>>> Brion
Greetings!  My first 'reply' in this forum...  
Here's the DEAL!  Focusrite has a device manager in the way of a small panel applet the APPEARS to let you change bit rates, and especially buffer size, which is DIRECTLY related to the 20ms latency.  The ONLY way I've gotten my 2nd gen Scarlett to work is by opening up a DAW, (just about any, but Cakewalk by Bandlab is free and frankly, it's a MONSTER!).  You set the frame rate inside the DAW to 32, or even 16, then DO NOT CLOSE THE DAW, (at least in MY case...).  I leave the DAW open for the entire time I'm on JK.  I would think that it would use resources, etc., but I'm getting 3.7ms ROUND TRIP latency with my 2nd Gen 18i20, and my 2i2!!!  I'm not sure why the focusrite driver is so finicky and why you cannot effectively use their own panel to adjust these parameters.  (Especially the buffers!  If you do, they simply revert back to a number like *240* (with the asterisks)).  It's amazing that the focusrite/Scarlett driver has gotten so far out of being able to control independent of another DAW affecting its configuration.  I's a mystery, but this is the ONLY way I have it working in my lab, and in another about 7 miles away.  Over moderately douche Internet infrastructure, we are getting about 15ms TOTAL latency.  I hear with fiber and up/down (symmetric) speeds of a Gbps, partners within 250 miles are getting TOTAL latency of about 6ms or less.
Hope this helps!