• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interface Nonsense!
Greetings
I'm running with either a Yamaha TFx USB ASIO driver or a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 USB ASIO interface.  In JK, the Yamaha reports 14.7 ms of latency I/O at (fixed by manufacturer -  48Khz), with a 64 byte buffers setting...  JK reports over 95 ms of latency in and out of the USB ASIO Scarlett interface, and complete instability, (NO MATTER WHAT ASIO PANEL CONFIGURATION I SET)!!!!
Really?!?!?
So, in all of my other audio software, (DAWS, 'LiveWare', etc.), I'm getting like 5ms of latency, out of BOTH of my interfaces, ACROSS THE BOARD!
But JK reports at least three times or NEARLY TWENTY TIMES the latency?!?!?
What gives, Jamkazam?!?!?
I had a 'forced update' to Jamkazam today, and it caused my Yamaha's latency to increase.  I think you messed up the algorithms to process the audio streams being generated by the A/D-D/A converters in our interfaces.
Meanwhile, even though a 'rustic' interface is presented for 'Jamulus' - I think I'm starting to head in that direction unless someone can give me a good reason not to...

I hope this gets better, and sincerely, I will pray for a miracle for the 'big deal' happening this Saturday!  Unless you're working with one of Spacex's new satellites, , or you are 5g-connected end-to-end, you ain't gonna get any reasonable (network) latency, (especially across the Trans-Atlantic path!).  I'm going to tune in though, that's for sure!

(Starting to turn around and walk away...
Brion

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"a good reason not to" give up JamKazam is that jamKazam is generally so much better than Jamulus.

As I understand it all
(05-29-2020, 11:28 AM)Hans Peter Augustesen Wrote: "a good reason not to" give up JamKazam is that jamKazam is generally so much better than Jamulus.

As I understand it all

Thanks for the encouragement.  My partner and I have Focusrite interfaces operating at 3.7 ms (Round Trip), so that is quite acceptable.  However, let's talk NETWORK!  My partner is on an AT&T SDSL fed by fibre, clocking 320Mbps up and down.  I have the (purely crummy) 'Comcast/Xfinity' (ADSL), with about 130Mbps down, and about 14Mbps up.  Even so, we combine to get TOTAL latency of about 15ms, with very slightly 'fluttering' jitter, (sounds like the first time you fall in love, right?!?  LOL!!).  This is 'good enough' to be able to use as long as I have a metronome on my end, (my partner is the drummer - I play guitar and bass at the same time with a GR-55...).  I'm thinking either a great dose of Starlink or 5G might help on the 'Net side.  I'll be checking to see what my tech bill might be if I get AT&T for ISP and leave the voice and TV with Xfinity.

Cheers!
Brion
(06-09-2020, 01:19 AM)BrionBell Wrote:
(05-29-2020, 11:28 AM)Hans Peter Augustesen Wrote: "a good reason not to" give up JamKazam is that jamKazam is generally so much better than Jamulus.

As I understand it all

Thanks for the encouragement.  My partner and I have Focusrite interfaces operating at 3.7 ms (Round Trip), so that is quite acceptable.  However, let's talk NETWORK!  My partner is on an AT&T SDSL fed by fibre, clocking 320Mbps up and down.  I have the (purely crummy) 'Comcast/Xfinity' (ADSL), with about 130Mbps down, and about 14Mbps up.  Even so, we combine to get TOTAL latency of about 15ms, with very slightly 'fluttering' jitter, (sounds like the first time you fall in love, right?!?  LOL!!).  This is 'good enough' to be able to use as long as I have a metronome on my end, (my partner is the drummer - I play guitar and bass at the same time with a GR-55...).  I'm thinking either a great dose of Starlink or 5G might help on the 'Net side.  I'll be checking to see what my tech bill might be if I get AT&T for ISP and leave the voice and TV with Xfinity.

Cheers!
Brion

>>>

Cherish the "about 15ms" total latency!!
A lot of people can only dream about those kind of figures.
That is like being in the same room and only 5.2 meters apart.
As a cellular and satellite radio engineer for the past 25 years, I can tell you with certainty that your crummy ground Internet communications will ALWAYs be better than either of the radio links. Just like JamKazam strongly recommends that you use a wired connection in your in-house Local Area Network (LAN), the same is true of the Wide Area Network (WAN) portion of your connection to other jammers. The roughly "speed of light" transmission speed (~3x10 to the 8th power Meters/sec) is roughly the same, whether travelling as electrons thru copper, light beams thru fiber optics, or radio waves thru the air. The big difference is all of the electrical signal and data processing in each of those systems, including A/D/A encoding/decoding and modulation/demodulation, error correction, packet reassembly/retransmission, etc; not to mention the higher shared resource conditions with limited capacity, meaning your packets are more likely to be queued up or arrive out of sequence over radio links. For these reasons "real" wired/fiber connections will always be better than radio. As for satellite, keep in mind that a geostationary satellite orbiting the Earth is located 22,000 nautical miles up in space, At that distance, the time it takes a radio signal to go up and back to Earth is about 0.75 seconds - that's 750ms just to account for the speed of light. Low Earth orbiting satellites (think Iridium) are much lower (140-500NM), however their position relative to you on the ground is rapidly changing (usually only in view for about 15minutes max), requiring complicated handovers and huge buffers to maintain a link. For these reasons JamKazam would not work over satellite links, period.
Hope this helps
Thanks for that interesting information, blandis.
I have explored Jamulus a few times while it's been evolving, but continue with JamKazam because I can have private session rooms with my music partners. Jamulus, last time I checked (May 2020); you either pick an available server without any control of who shares and hosts it, or set up your own server. I liked the create your own server idea. Setting up your own server has become easier but still, there's the delay. And, they have a Mute option to not hear your own output signal - you won't hear an echo of your own signal coming back to you in the mix. It's an interesting approach. Then there's the cloud server option for faster performance. I'm tracking their forum conversations from time to time, but still sticking with JamKazam. The latency issue is a difficult nut to crack and I also am hoping Starlink is a gamer change for the better, at least for musicians.

What would be ideal but won't happen is, if musicians had their own infrastructure on the entire planet, without sharing it with other services. For what Blandis shared, I always appreciate how interesting all of this is, that our human musical energy is converted and traveling through wires and ending up in different locations on the planet.
Is it correct that in Jamulus one can not "see" the total latency between each other?

I have been told that ...
Hi Hans Peter.

Yes, it's possible to see the latency. In the connect server window they show the latency. There are a couple of users within a 20 mi radius which show pretty good, but i don't have n interest in connecting with them. But yes, you can see latency and that's a nice feature Smile
Hi and thanks, GDJ
Good to know!

I will explain it to the person who gave me the wrong information.