JamKazam Forums
Input Jitter VS Fram Rate - Printable Version

+- JamKazam Forums (https://forum.jamkazam.com)
+-- Forum: Jamkazam Forums (https://forum.jamkazam.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Help with Network Gear (https://forum.jamkazam.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Input Jitter VS Fram Rate (/showthread.php?tid=797)

Input Jitter VS Fram Rate - Tyler D-Rob - 05-11-2020

Good Day, I am Rural, meaning my internet is not the greatest but I just upgraded to 5G point to point. That being said, and I am not a network guy, my frame rate is set at 2.5ms. I am in the yellow. However, when I set frame rate to 2.5, my input Jitter goes yellow and red, back and forth showing upwards of 179ms. It sounds like crap. I go to 10ms frame rate and everything else is solid green except for latency = red. My question is, is 10ms frame rate acceptable or should I choose to stay at 2.5 and just suffer the crackles and pops? I am a drummer, so latency is a challenge to begin with. Any thoughts are appreciated by the newbie. Cheers,

RE: Input Jitter VS Fram Rate - Dimitri Muskens - 05-11-2020

(05-11-2020, 08:42 PM)Tyler D-Rob Wrote: Good Day, I am Rural, meaning my internet is not the greatest but I just upgraded to 5G point to point. That being said, and I am not a network guy, my frame rate is set at 2.5ms. I am in the yellow. However, when I set frame rate to 2.5, my input Jitter goes yellow and red, back and forth showing upwards of 179ms. It sounds like crap. I go to 10ms frame rate and everything else is solid green except for latency = red. My question is, is 10ms frame rate acceptable or should I choose to stay at 2.5 and just suffer the crackles and pops? I am a drummer, so latency is a challenge to begin with. Any thoughts are appreciated by the newbie. Cheers,
>>>
Hi, for most people a lower frame rate will give better latency but could introduce some pops and/or crackling. I myself run mostly a 1ms.
However, any form of wireless (5G) will not do you any favors.

RE: Input Jitter VS Fram Rate - Tyler D-Rob - 05-11-2020

Thank you for your reply. The 5G was just for bandwidth. I am not sure if Jitter can be improved in some other way other than increasing frame rate? I have not found that magic setting yet. Appreciate the response.

RE: Input Jitter VS Fram Rate - Dimitri Muskens - 05-11-2020

(05-11-2020, 09:17 PM)Tyler D-Rob Wrote: Thank you for your reply. The 5G was just for bandwidth. I am not sure if Jitter can be improved in some other way other than increasing frame rate? I have not found that magic setting yet. Appreciate the response.
>>>
5G is a wireless protocol/band, yes it can have pretty good bandwidth but, the nature of wireless protocol packet handling makes it unsuitable for realtime audio transfer.
Bandwidth usually is not the problem, the 'noise'/jitter is. Cabled internet is paramount.

'Input jitter' however is not influenced by networking issues but by your audio gear (configuration)
Which audio interface/external soundcard are you using?
Are you on windows? Using dedicated ASIO drivers?

RE: Input Jitter VS Fram Rate - Jitterbug - 02-05-2021

(05-11-2020, 09:38 PM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:
(05-11-2020, 09:17 PM)Tyler D-Rob Wrote: Thank you for your reply. The 5G was just for bandwidth. I am not sure if Jitter can be improved in some other way other than increasing frame rate? I have not found that magic setting yet. Appreciate the response.
>>>
5G is a wireless protocol/band, yes it can have pretty good bandwidth but, the nature of wireless protocol packet handling makes it unsuitable for realtime audio transfer.
Bandwidth usually is not the problem, the 'noise'/jitter is. Cabled internet is paramount.

'Input jitter' however is not influenced by networking issues but by your audio gear (configuration)
Which audio interface/external soundcard are you using?
Are you on windows? Using dedicated ASIO drivers?
Hello Dimitri, I would be very appreciate of any tips for improving my input and output jitter. All my performance metrics are green apart from these two which fluctuate wildly between green, yellow and red.  I have a PC / Windows 10 and use a Behringer U-Phoria UMC audio interface / ASIO drivers. Thank you.