JamKazam Forums
latency and core audio - Printable Version

+- JamKazam Forums (https://forum.jamkazam.com)
+-- Forum: Jamkazam Forums (https://forum.jamkazam.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Help with Mac Client Problems (https://forum.jamkazam.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: latency and core audio (/showthread.php?tid=586)

Pages: 1 2

latency and core audio - nfraser52@gmail.com - 04-26-2020

HI I have recently purchased a refurb macbook pro  13 ( 2015) Version.

With a Blue USB mic I get lousy Latency regardless of settings.

With Internal mic I get 5.9MS , but obviously the mix between vocal and instrument is kind random .

I am looking for a good medium price interface that works with mac OS Mojave.

I had ordered a Focusrite Solo Package ( as i also need a good Mic) , it is on back order and they offered M-audio air 192-4 as replacement .

Is anyone using the solo with a mac and if so what kinda latency are you experiencing ? , friends using solo with PC are experiencng zero !!!

I have not seen any good reviews of the M audio air 192  , any feedback ?

I believe that focusrite had a driver that can bypass the core audio , but I could be wrong

PLay Safe Y'all

RE: latency and core audio - Dimitri Muskens - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 01:25 PM)nfraser52@gmail.com Wrote: HI I have recently purchased a refurb macbook pro  13 ( 2015) Version.

With Internal mic I get 5.9MS , but obviously the mix between vocal and instrument is kind random .

I had ordered a Focusrite Solo Package ( as i also need a good Mic) , it is on back order and they offered M-audio air 192-4 as replacement .

Is anyone using the solo with a mac and if so what kinda latency are you experiencing ? , friends using solo with PC are experiencng zero !!!

I believe that focusrite had a driver that can bypass the core audio , but I could be wrong

PLay Safe Y'all

>>>
Any specific reason you're not running Catalina?

RE: latency and core audio - eoengineer - 04-30-2020

(04-26-2020, 01:25 PM)nfraser52@gmail.com Wrote: HI I have recently purchased a refurb macbook pro  13 ( 2015) Version.

PLay Safe Y'all

I've been working on trying to reduce latency with my Focusrite Scarlett (2nd gen, I believe).  So here's the catch.  As you've probably seen in other DAW applications, you usually have a buffer setting you can use to adjust to lower the buffer sampling and reduce latency.  Jamkazam doesnt have this option, which means that it is settling on some standard buffer size, which for me results in latencies that are double what I am able to achieve with the same interface in Garageband or Logic Pro.

I suspect your mic/interface are not the sole issue, and I'm not confident a new interface will help you reduce that latency.

RE: latency and core audio - pizak - 04-30-2020

While you can't set the buffer size directly, there is a way of setting the "FrameSize" and that will get reasonable latency under Mac. I got mine down from 11ms to 8ms. That involved changing the FrameSize from 2.5ms down to 1ms. If you search for FrameSize you will find a discussion.

Warning, the "FrameSize" setting has vanished in the latest build. There is a post saying it will come back again though.

That said, I think it would be great if we could set a specific buffer size in CoreAudio like ASIO can.

RE: latency and core audio - kempjef - 04-30-2020

Audio Booster has returned to its former functionality, including frame rate adjustment.  Begin session first.

RE: latency and core audio - Giancarlo - 04-30-2020

(04-30-2020, 03:11 PM)kempjef Wrote: Audio Booster has returned to its former functionality, including frame rate adjustment.  Begin session first.

Thanks for the heads-up Smile

RE: latency and core audio - jbuecker - 04-30-2020

(04-30-2020, 01:37 PM)eoengineer Wrote:

PLay Safe Y'all

I've been working on trying to reduce latency with my Focusrite Scarlett (2nd gen, I believe).  So here's the catch.  As you've probably seen in other DAW applications, you usually have a buffer setting you can use to adjust to lower the buffer sampling and reduce latency.  Jamkazam doesnt have this option, which means that it is settling on some standard buffer size, which for me results in latencies that are double what I am able to achieve with the same interface in Garageband or Logic Pro.

I suspect your mic/interface are not the sole issue, and I'm not confident a new interface will help you reduce that latency.
A Thunderbolt based Interface ivy a USB will most certainly improve latency on the mac.  The Framesize under Audio Booster will allow you to 'experiment' with tighter (Lower latency) try 1ms ... Good luck,
~JB

RE: latency and core audio - nfraser52@gmail.com - 05-09-2020

Thanks for the input .

Results so far

on old asus laptop running windows 10 and using focusrite asio driver, zero Latency ( I could not believe it either) Big Grin

On Mac book pro 13  2015 version  , out of box 18.7 , with 1 frame size 8.3 ( worse than internal mic with same frame size )  Sad
Sad
So I guess the Mac is going back , unless someone can suggest a solution , I am now running latest OS and that did not help .

RE: latency and core audio - jbuecker - 05-09-2020

(05-09-2020, 05:02 PM)nfraser52@gmail.com Wrote: Thanks for the input .

Results so far

on old asus laptop running windows 10 and using focusrite asio driver, zero Latency ( I could not believe it either) Big Grin

On Mac book pro 13  2015 version  , out of box 18.7 , with 1 frame size 8.3 ( worse than internal mic with same frame size )  Sad
Sad
So I guess the Mac is going back , unless someone can suggest a solution , I am now running latest OS and that did not help .
Did you install the low latency driver from focusrite for Mac?  I helped my band mate up by installing this driver ...He has a second gen Scarlett Solo USB... He is running Catalina, and this improved the latency to around 5ms.... 

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/de/article_attachments/360000002565/FocusriteLowLatencyInstaller_-_1.1.7.dmg

HTH,
~JB

RE: latency and core audio - nfraser52@gmail.com - 05-10-2020

(05-09-2020, 05:58 PM)jbuecker Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 05:02 PM)nfraser52@gmail.com Wrote: Thanks for the input .

Results so far

Sad
Did you install the low latency driver from focusrite for Mac?  I helped my band mate up by installing this driver ...He has a second gen Scarlett Solo USB... He is running Catalina, and this improved the latency to around 5ms.... 

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/de/article_attachments/360000002565/FocusriteLowLatencyInstaller_-_1.1.7.dmg

HTH,
~JB

HI thanks for the tips , I could not find that file on their website .
I left a support request there .
Mac will not allow the ASIO driver which is where the solo has its advantage .I have not installed with WDM driver on Windows machine but it would expect similar performance as wil thre MAC