JamKazam Forums
Problems getting audio gear setup done on Win10 PC - Printable Version

+- JamKazam Forums (https://forum.jamkazam.com)
+-- Forum: Jamkazam Forums (https://forum.jamkazam.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Help with Audio Gear (https://forum.jamkazam.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Problems getting audio gear setup done on Win10 PC (/showthread.php?tid=25)

Problems getting audio gear setup done on Win10 PC - sloman61 - 03-29-2020

I am a newbie and this all looks very exciting... just wish i could get it working!  Huh

I've seen the vids of musicians getting it done, but I am struggling with my audio setup on a Windows 10 PC. I have disabled as much as I can find in the Startup menu.. I would've used my Macbook Air instead of the PC, but I don't yet have an Ethernet adapter so it only has wi-fi.

Seems Windows recognizes the interface, mostly, but JamKazam doesn't. I rescan and try the audio gear setup, but I must be missing something.

Interface:
I have an Apogee Jam - no luck. (not sure it'll work except with iPad or Mac)

I have a Behringer UCA202 - no luck.

I have a Behringer X1204USB mixer - no luck.

I even tried an old DigiTech RP255 pedal that was my first interface to iOS GarageBand - no luck!

Finally, I got out my Behringer X18 X Air mixer which usually interfaces perfectly to GarageBand on the Mac. 
I can see in the 'audio gear setup dialog that it recognizes it, but I am unable to advance to the next step even tho it prompts me to under 'Latency'..
(see attchd JPG)

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
A

RE: Problems getting audio gear setup done on Win10 PC - Peter Heijnen - 03-29-2020

(03-29-2020, 04:50 AM)sloman61 Wrote: I am a newbie and this all looks very exciting... just wish i could get it working!  Huh

I've seen the vids of musicians getting it done, but I am struggling with my audio setup on a Windows 10 PC. I have disabled as much as I can find in the Startup menu.. I would've used my Macbook Air instead of the PC, but I don't yet have an Ethernet adapter so it only has wi-fi.

Seems Windows recognizes the interface, mostly, but JamKazam doesn't. I rescan and try the audio gear setup, but I must be missing something.

Interface:

I even tried an old DigiTech RP255 pedal that was my first interface to iOS GarageBand - no luck!

Finally, I got out my Behringer X18 X Air mixer which usually interfaces perfectly to GarageBand on the Mac. 
I can see in the 'audio gear setup dialog that it recognizes it, but I am unable to advance to the next step even tho it prompts me to under 'Latency'..
(see attchd JPG)

Thanks!
A

Did you install the (latest) Windows drivers for your Interface?

You should use a USB Audio Interface, such as the Behringer UM22 or UMC202HD.

RE: Problems getting audio gear setup done on Win10 PC - Wim Reynaert - 03-30-2020

peter, it's working only with direct internet. Not with ewfi

It's only working with a direct connection with internet. Don't use wifi

RE: Problems getting audio gear setup done on Win10 PC - RichardKazzab - 04-01-2020

Is it better to use the native windows 10 drivers or to download the drivers for my audio interface?

(03-29-2020, 02:48 PM)Peter Heijnen Wrote:
(03-29-2020, 04:50 AM)sloman61 Wrote: I am a newbie and this all looks very exciting... just wish i could get it working!  Huh

Interface:

(see attchd JPG)

Thanks!
A

Did you install the (latest) Windows drivers for your Interface?

You should use a USB Audio Interface, such as the Behringer UM22 or UMC202HD.

RE: Problems getting audio gear setup done on Win10 PC - HellKiller - 04-01-2020

Windows is really stupid and it takes over control of the drivers for from audio interfaces automatically, so if you are trying to use them for a program you have to disconnect the audio device from the windows operating system.

Under or next to the Windows start icon click on the "type here to search" icon and type the word "sound" in the search area in the window that pops up. It should open the sound settings window. This is where you need to put windows onto the built-in sound drivers that come with the PC motherboard. So in the "choose your input device " field use anything but the X32 or whatever sound card you want to use in Jam Kazam in this field, you can do the same for the output section.

There is also an option in the done the page a bit called "sound control panel" which will open the old school sound panel from windows of prior years. If you select the recording tab the microphone for instance then the "advanced tab" has an option "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device", and another "give exclusive mode priority", I believe the prior will allow one application to prevent another application (program) from using the audio device. So turning off "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" will make so more things can control the audio interface. Play around with these settings if you want both windows and the audio to use them at the same time, but it may cause an issue with latency. (just guessing). Not the sound panel microphone is an example. You would probably look under x18 Air or whatever device to for exclusive mode priority option.

I just did some testing and it seems if you turn off the "Allow Exclusive Control of this Device" it worsens the test I/O Var in Jam Kazam from green to yellow rating, but the Latency didn't change with my laptop.I have no idea what the test VAR rating Means. Smile

RE: Problems getting audio gear setup done on Win10 PC - sloman61 - 04-01-2020

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the ideas and guidance. I eventually had some success on both Windows PC and MacBook Air. The MacBook only has wifi which definitely degraded the sound quality... may try again after acquiring a USB-to-ethernet adapter.

The Apogee Jam would not work on the PC at all.
I also found a Digidesign Mbox2 Mini interface, but neither the Mac nor the PC recognized it. (Maybe it only works with ProTools.)

The Windows PC has a direct cable connection and works with the following:

Behringer X18 X Air (separates channels for line level instrument and vocal mic) - BEST
Behringer X2404USB mixer (single channel for both instrument and vocal mic) - GOOD
DigiTech RP255 Multi-FX pedal (guitar only. Used built-in Mic input / Output for chat) - OKAY (guitar sounded great; delay on chat was distracting)

Thanks again for the comments. I have to say I think I was over-thinking things while following the wizard and just needed to get used to the JamKazam interface, which looks identical to the website... a bit confusing that!

Good luck and happy jamming everyone.
Andy
PS - If I can I'll try and assist others in this thread.

RE: Problems getting audio gear setup done on Win10 PC - kkriner@gmail.com - 05-01-2020

Thanks, sloman61! I've added the "Behringer X2404USB on Windows" to the list in the "working well" category.