JamKazam Forums
UMC202HD + Win 10: Everyone hears me + piano perfectly. But I don't hear them! - Printable Version

+- JamKazam Forums (https://forum.jamkazam.com)
+-- Forum: Jamkazam Forums (https://forum.jamkazam.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Help with Audio Gear (https://forum.jamkazam.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: UMC202HD + Win 10: Everyone hears me + piano perfectly. But I don't hear them! (/showthread.php?tid=230)

UMC202HD + Win 10: Everyone hears me + piano perfectly. But I don't hear them! - Pete Savigny - 04-06-2020

Now I received a further suggestion from the Behringer Musictribe forum expert:

Open the UMC Control Panel and check on the [b]Buffer Settings[/b] tab. A buffer size of 256 or 512 should be OK. I run mine with [b]Safe Mode[/b] checked (on).

I responded:
====
thanks for the new suggestion about the buffer settings.

Do you think the current buffer size of 8 samples could be the reason for the sound not getting through? 

When I change it to 256 samples, and then resync in JamKazam, it goes back to 8 samples.
I will need to find out how I can makeba changed buffer setting stick.
====

What do you JamKazam guys say?

Could substantially increasing buffer size make the difference?
And how do I make it stick?

I wrote earlier:
====
I have an important new insight which may provide the key to solving my persistent problem, since I received my UMC202HD on Saturday.

It looks like the UMC202HD's output might be at fault.

A fellow musician and scientist told me to try JamKazam without the UMC202HD, and it turned out that I could hear her perfectly via JamKazam!

So I'm wondering whether the UMC202HD's output could be at fault?

I have tested using the UMC202HD as input only, and my laptop speaker as output, and it works - though with higher latency. 

On the other hand, the UMC202HD's output does at least allow me to hear myself and my piano, even without direct monitoring.

So what does that tell us about where the fault could lie?

I hope this will help us find the solution to my persistent problem, since I received my UMC202HD on Saturday.

Will I need to exchange it?
Is there something I can do without having to exchange it?

I wrote earlier:

The UMC202HD and its ASIO 4.59 driver for Win10 has brought down my latency in JamKazam, and everyone hears me and my piano perfectly.
But I don't hear them any more, as I was able to using WDM output. And that even though their signal shows just as well as my own.
I'm using output same as input, i.e. UMC ASIO, and my laptop's output is set to UMC202 HD.
Following advice of JamKazam users, I made sure I'm not using direct monitoring. And I have even disabled my laptop's built-in speaker, leaving only the UMC202HD output. Still not hearing the other musicians' sound.
What could be the reason? What should I try?

I received advice in Behringer Musictribe forum to check windows control panel sound settings, and make sure it is on 24 bit, 48 kHz which it was.
When I tried  a JamKazam session afterwards, I could talk to the musicians - hurray! But I couldn't hear their instruments.
The same happened with my flutist a few min later.
We could talk, but when she started playing, there was only a noise like water in a creek, and then we couldn't even talk any more. What is going on?

All the while she can hear me + my piano perfectly.
I want that to be the case in both directions.
Please help.

RE: UMC202HD + Win 10: Everyone hears me + piano perfectly. But I don't hear them! - Pete Savigny - 04-07-2020

Could an 8 samples buffer size be the reason for my co-musicians' sound not getting through to me?

RE: UMC202HD + Win 10: Everyone hears me + piano perfectly. But I don't hear them! - Pete Savigny - 04-08-2020

I'm still hoping for someone who will tell me what my new insight from testing without the UMC202HD revealed.

I wrote>
A fellow musician and scientist told me to try JamKazam without the UMC202HD, and it turned out that I could hear her perfectly via JamKazam!

So I'm wondering whether the UMC202HD's output could be at fault?

I have tested using the UMC202HD as input only, and my laptop speaker as output, and it works - though with higher latency. 

On the other hand, the UMC202HD's output does at least allow me to hear myself and my piano, even without direct monitoring.

So what does that tell us about where the fault could lie?

I hope this will help us find the solution to my persistent problem, since I received my UMC202HD on Saturday.

RE: UMC202HD + Win 10: Everyone hears me + piano perfectly. But I don't hear them! - ChrisFowler - 04-08-2020

Have you setup port forwarding in your router?

RE: UMC202HD + Win 10: Everyone hears me + piano perfectly. But I don't hear them! - Pete Savigny - 04-08-2020

(04-08-2020, 02:02 PM)ChrisFowler Wrote: Have you setup port forwarding in your router?
Hi Chris, 
yes, I have set up port forwarding to ports 12000-12001.

In any case, I was able to hear my co-musicians when I tested with built-in speakers, rather than UMC202HD output.
But that is not a sustainable setup, as latency and frame size are not good with WDM drivers.
I definitely want my sound to work in and out of the UMC202HD, using its ASIO driver.

So that is why I'm trying to solve the buffer setting and resetting problem.
Do you think there might be some connection between port forwarding and that problem?

RE: UMC202HD + Win 10: Everyone hears me + piano perfectly. But I don't hear them! - karlozthrash - 04-10-2020

(04-08-2020, 02:02 PM)ChrisFowler Wrote: Have you setup port forwarding in your router?
How is this done? It looks like I need to do that.

Thanks in advanced!
Carlos

RE: UMC202HD + Win 10: Everyone hears me + piano perfectly. But I don't hear them! - Hans Peter Augustesen - 04-10-2020

(04-10-2020, 02:41 AM)karlozthrash Wrote:
How is this done? It looks like I need to do that.

Thanks in advanced!
Carlos
"Setting up Port Forwarding:
By default, JamKazam uses 2 dynamically chosen ports. You can pin down these two ports down in JamKazam to be the same every time, which is important because then you can then configure your router to allow traffic in on these two ports. This requires you to set your router's Port Forwarding settings, a process which will be documented in the manual which came with your router.
"

from
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/anyone-use-jamkazam-i-could-use-some-troubleshooting.1504869/

(04-07-2020, 12:39 PM)Pete Savigny Wrote: Could an 8 samples buffer size be the reason for my co-musicians' sound not getting through to me?
My Behringer UMC 404 is also set at 8 samples buffer size.

That is the case with all Behringer 204HD, 404HD and 404 here on JamKazam. They have all latency 4.2 ms - ASIO-driver. My experience!

So that can not be better, I think

The whole situation is very strange - all the while we both could hear each other the other day
No problem there ..

Good luck