JamKazam Forums
Behringer Mixer Question - Printable Version

+- JamKazam Forums (https://forum.jamkazam.com)
+-- Forum: Jamkazam Forums (https://forum.jamkazam.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Help with Audio Gear (https://forum.jamkazam.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Behringer Mixer Question (/showthread.php?tid=1856)

Behringer Mixer Question - jazzerone - 12-31-2020

I used the search engine and drew a blank, so asking here for any insights...

I'm running my drum mics through a Behringer QX1222USB mixer, connected to an iMac via USB. I cannot for the life of me figure out where or how to kill the direct monitoring on this thing. There is no real manual for this model with the "Q" prefix, just a Quick Start Guide. The manual for the X1222USB (no Q in the prefix) says you can route the audio from a computer to the main mix "with the 2-TR/USB TO MAIN" button... which button is nowhere to be found on the QX model.

There is an interesting *Note in the Quick Start Guide: "The QX1222USB is intended primarily for live sound mixing. Although the mix can be easily recorded to a computer, low-latency monitoring during recording is not available for this model."

Have I answered my own question?

RE: Behringer Mixer Question - Dimitri Muskens - 12-31-2020

(12-31-2020, 04:27 PM)jazzerone Wrote: I used the search engine and drew a blank, so asking here for any insights...

I'm running my drum mics through a Behringer QX1222USB mixer, connected to an iMac via USB. I cannot for the life of me figure out where or how to kill the direct monitoring on this thing. There is no real manual for this model with the "Q" prefix, just a Quick Start Guide. The manual for the X1222USB (no Q in the prefix) says you can route the audio from a computer to the main mix "with the 2-TR/USB TO MAIN" button... which button is nowhere to be found on the QX model.

There is an interesting *Note in the Quick Start Guide: "The QX1222USB is intended primarily for live sound mixing. Although the mix can be easily recorded to a computer, low-latency monitoring during recording is not available for this model."

Have I answered my own question?

>>>
Not sure if you've answered your own question. To me you only made it more 'questionable' ... .

"low-latency monitoring" is also used as terminology for local-/direct- monitoring. 
So by those terms, you're trying to "kill" something that the equipment apparently can't do ...  Huh

RE: Behringer Mixer Question - jazzerone - 12-31-2020

I see what you mean, and it's a conundrum to me as well. While it sounds as if the unit can't do direct monitoring in the first place, I know that it can. How? By simply putting on my headphones, plugging them into the Phones/Ctrl jack, turning the mixer on and listening. I can hear the wall clock in my studio ticking, the sound picked up by the overhead condenser mic. The computer is off... to me, that is "direct monitoring". I'm hearing exactly what the mic is picking up and feeding into the mixer. I control the volume by the phones volume control knob.

Now I turn on the computer, load up JK and open a private session. Nothing changes. Still hearing the exact same thing I was hearing before I started up the computer and JK app. So, again to me, this is "direct monitoring"; I'm still hearing exactly what the mic is picking up and feeding into the mixer, NOT what is being sent to JK and then returned to me through the USB connection.

I also have a Presonus Fire Project AI I use, and it works just fine, conforming to the general JK admonition that if direct monitoring is off I should hear nothing in my headphones until I enter a JK session. With the mixer, I hear a signal, the same signal, the entire time.

The only reason I quoted that part of the Quick Start guide was that it was the only thing I read that even offered a suggestion about any kind of "monitoring", and I wanted to hear what others thought about what this might mean. I know Behringer is notorious for "hiding" user info, or at least being unclear about how things work --- for example, try to track down the difference between the "QX" and the "X" model of this mixer... and why no user manual for the "QX", but a full manual for the "X"? Rabbit hole questions, for sure.

This is more a PIA than anything... I'm fine using the Firestudio unit, although it doesn't have all the effects, compression, gain, volume, etc. bells and whistles, just a single volume (gain) knob foe each channel, and the latency is not stellar. But it works. It just drives me nuts when I run into things like JK telling me to make sure direct monitoring is turned off and.... well, where the hell is the knob/button/lever/string/rope I push, pull or yank to do that????

RE: Behringer Mixer Question - StuartR - 12-31-2020

(12-31-2020, 05:30 PM)jazzerone Wrote: I see what you mean, and it's a conundrum to me as well. While it sounds as if the unit can't do direct monitoring in the first place, I know that it can. How? By simply putting on my headphones, plugging them into the Phones/Ctrl jack, turning the mixer on and listening. I can hear the wall clock in my studio ticking, the sound picked up by the overhead condenser mic. The computer is off... to me, that is "direct monitoring". I'm hearing exactly what the mic is picking up and feeding into the mixer. I control the volume by the phones volume control knob.

Now I turn on the computer, load up JK and open a private session. Nothing changes. Still hearing the exact same thing I was hearing before I started up the computer and JK app. So, again to me, this is "direct monitoring"; I'm still hearing exactly what the mic is picking up and feeding into the mixer, NOT what is being sent to JK and then returned to me through the USB connection.

I also have a Presonus Fire Project AI I use, and it works just fine, conforming to the general JK admonition that if direct monitoring is off I should hear nothing in my headphones until I enter a JK session. With the mixer, I hear a signal, the same signal, the entire time.

The only reason I quoted that part of the Quick Start guide was that it was the only thing I read that even offered a suggestion about any kind of "monitoring", and I wanted to hear what others thought about what this might mean. I know Behringer is notorious for "hiding" user info, or at least being unclear about how things work --- for example, try to track down the difference between the "QX" and the "X" model of this mixer... and why no user manual for the "QX", but a full manual for the "X"? Rabbit hole questions, for sure.

This is more a PIA than anything... I'm fine using the Firestudio unit, although it doesn't have all the effects, compression, gain, volume, etc. bells and whistles, just a single volume (gain) knob foe each channel, and the latency is not stellar. But it works. It just drives me nuts when I run into things like JK telling me to make sure direct monitoring is turned off and.... well, where the hell is the knob/button/lever/string/rope I push, pull or yank to do that????
When the JK client tells you to be sure direct monitoring is turned off they are, of course referring to the hardware control knob on the supported audio interface. Is the original interface you are trying to use on the JK supported device list?

RE: Behringer Mixer Question - Dimitri Muskens - 12-31-2020

(12-31-2020, 05:30 PM)jazzerone Wrote: I see what you mean, and it's a conundrum to me as well. While it sounds as if the unit can't do direct monitoring in the first place, I know that it can. How? By simply putting on my headphones, plugging them into the Phones/Ctrl jack, turning the mixer on and listening. I can hear the wall clock in my studio ticking, the sound picked up by the overhead condenser mic. The computer is off... to me, that is "direct monitoring". I'm hearing exactly what the mic is picking up and feeding into the mixer. I control the volume by the phones volume control knob.

>>>
Or save yourself a lot of headaches and use your Behringer 'just' as a mixer with all the controls & ffx you want to use -> go main out (or any sub group/mon group to your liking) 'stereo' into your Presonus -> into your computer with JamKazam. 'best of both worlds' ... . (and of course monitor via your Presonus via headphones out)

RE: Behringer Mixer Question - jazzerone - 01-01-2021

...once again proving that the obvious answer is almost always the one you overlook. Of course.... mic's into mixer, output from mixer (at 0 latency because it's direct) to AI, AI into computer and Bob's your uncle.

Any advice on how to program my VCR?

Signed,
Old and Slow