JamKazam Forums
JK keeps restting block size to small number - Printable Version

+- JamKazam Forums (https://forum.jamkazam.com)
+-- Forum: Jamkazam Forums (https://forum.jamkazam.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Help with Audio Gear (https://forum.jamkazam.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: JK keeps restting block size to small number (/showthread.php?tid=1845)

JK keeps restting block size to small number - SammerJammer - 12-27-2020

Two different computers and three different audio-interfaces with the same problem.

1. Windows 7-64bit with Presonus USB 96
2. Windows 8.1 64-bit with Presonus Studio 26c
3. Windows 8.1 64-bit with Behringer UMC404HD

Using the respective ASIO control panels (Universal Control for PreSonus, UMC for Behringer) I set the buffer size to 128. I have tried other larger block sizes also.

As soon as I go into JK and start/enter a session the block size is reset to 16 on the PreSonus devices and 8 on the Behringer. I cannot get good audio performance at these levels. I have tried to set the block size again once in a session but JK senses the change, shows a "re-initializing audio interface" message, and immediately sets it back right before my eyes.

There are other reports of a similar problem in these forums with other brands of interfaces.
Here's one: https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.php?tid=343

I heard mention yesterday of a user having the same issue with a Focusrite that JK keeps resetting to to a buffer of 96.

Responses welcome that might help explain/resolve this issue. Please don't opine that 8 or 16 should be good enough - that does not address the problem of JK resetting my devices differently from how I set them. I have also tried all those "open a DAW first and 'lock' in the settings" suggestions to no avail.

I have tried updated drivers, backdated drivers, safe mode, (un)safe mode - pretty much everything I can think of.

My speculation: This seems like JK not playing well with the ASIO SDK - the SDK includes calls and parameters for setting buffer size and buffer size changes.

Edit   Delete   Reply   Quote   Report

RE: JK keeps restting block size to small number - StuartR - 12-27-2020

(12-27-2020, 02:23 PM)SammerJammer Wrote: Two different computers and three different audio-interfaces with the same problem.

1. Windows 7-64bit with Presonus USB 96
2. Windows 8.1 64-bit with Presonus Studio 26c
3. Windows 8.1 64-bit with Behringer UMC404HD

Using the respective ASIO control panels (Universal Control for PreSonus, UMC for Behringer) I set the buffer size to 128. I have tried other larger block sizes also.

As soon as I go into JK and start/enter a session the block size is reset to 16 on the PreSonus devices and 8 on the Behringer. I cannot get good audio performance at these levels. I have tried to set the block size again once in a session but JK senses the change, shows a "re-initializing audio interface" message, and immediately sets it back right before my eyes.

There are other reports of a similar problem in these forums with other brands of interfaces.
Here's one: https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.php?tid=343

I heard mention yesterday of a user having the same issue with a Focusrite that JK keeps resetting to to a buffer of 96.

Responses welcome that might help explain/resolve this issue. Please don't opine that 8 or 16 should be good enough - that does not address the problem of JK resetting my devices differently from how I set them. I have also tried all those "open a DAW first and 'lock' in the settings" suggestions to no avail.

I have tried updated drivers, backdated drivers, safe mode, (un)safe mode - pretty much everything I can think of.

My speculation: This seems like JK not playing well with the ASIO SDK - the SDK includes calls and parameters for setting buffer size and buffer size changes.

Edit   Delete   Reply   Quote   Report
I've seen a bit of this on the Focusrite and Behringer but others like Motu work great with their ASIO driver giving 3.4 msec latency. So it's not all a JK client issue.

RE: JK keeps restting block size to small number - SammerJammer - 12-27-2020

On the contrary Stuart, it may well be that the JK client needs to do something differently with ASIO and it's just luck that some drivers are not affected as drastically. Other drivers might also be unknowingly forced to a default buffer size but one that happens to be large enough not to cause audio distress. For instance, if the PreSonus, Behringer, and Focsurite defaulted to a buffer size of 128 most people would not notice.

PreSonus, Behringer, Focsurite all have this problem. All of these are major manufacturers and sell thousands of units. I suspect there are brands experiencing this as well. It is possible that It appears that JK's method of initialization causes them to reset to a default buffer size. Other programs (DAWs, etc,) don't do this so it is quite possible and feasible that the method JK employs needs to enhanced. It's unlikely that all 3 of these brands (and possibly others) are in the wrong.

The story is most likely in the code. It requires a developer to take a look and also look at the ASIO SDK and make sure everything is being done properly. Then he/she can answer yay/nay. Remember - code omissions are just as problematic as code errors. JK has issued dozens of (or more) releases just to address errors so it's clear mistakes can make it into the wild.

Screwy workarounds or suggesting that users dump their major brand equipment for something else are not the answer.

I'm betting that some of the crackling people are hearing could be rectified by larger buffers if they could only be set and retained.

RE: JK keeps restting block size to small number - SammerJammer - 12-29-2020

JK supports indicated that JK does NOT first query the device for buffer size and then restore it, but instead attempts to find the lowest latency buffer size.

The first part of this is obvious - JK does not respect the user-preferred initial setting.

The second part may be accurate - i.e. JK might try to find the lowest latency buffer size, or it may be that JK is just causing the the device to default to it's lowest or default buffer size. The bottom line is that your preferred setting is ignored.

Lowest buffer size does not always result in satisfactory audio quality and quite often produces crackling and breakups. We, as users, know that from using various DAW and other desktop sound software where we end up dialing in our devices for acceptable sound with lowest latency. Our DAWs respect our settings. So do other online platforms including Sononbus, Jamulus, and Jammr.

This issue affects many Behringer and PreSonus devices. It likely affects others the same way.

If you are using Windows and ASIO and are experiencing crackling and other sound inconsistencies you may well be have this same issue.