JamKazam Forums
Audio Gear set up, step 5 - Printable Version

+- JamKazam Forums (https://forum.jamkazam.com)
+-- Forum: Jamkazam Forums (https://forum.jamkazam.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Help with Audio Gear (https://forum.jamkazam.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Audio Gear set up, step 5 (/showthread.php?tid=1606)

Audio Gear set up, step 5 - hominah - 10-23-2020

New to JK. 

Windows 10, Focusrite 2i2 3rd gen, Vanguard V13 mic, fast ethernet connection, wifi off, all green tests and latency as described as it should be in the set up step by step article. 

All going as described until....

....in the last step of the Audio Gear set up (step 5), when it says to completely turn off direct monitoring (which I have done), and then it says to hit the Play button and you'll hear a repeating ding:  the noise I hear is a fuzzy almost non-pitched noise, sort of a scratchy sci-fi sonar noise, not at all a ding. Does this matter? What should I check? 

I haven't tried to use with anyone else yet, but am planning on trying it tomorrow morning for a lesson. 

Would record the fuzzy scratching noise and attach it, but I don't fully understand all the in and out routing I'm looking at. If it's necessary for me to attach, I can figure out how to capture it and upload it to this thread first thing in the morning. 

Any help or guidance appreciated. Above average computer literacy, novice to sound tech. 

UPDATE:  Thought I'd try it one more time before posting this, and this time I got a message saying, "Unable to load test sound, please contact support", with a link that took me to a salesforce page (https://www.salesforce.com/solutions/small-business-solutions/help-desk-software/?mc=desk) -- what in the hell??

Can anyone advise?

RE: Audio Gear set up, step 5 - Dimitri Muskens - 10-23-2020

(10-23-2020, 07:36 AM)hominah Wrote: New to JK. 

Windows 10, Focusrite 2i2 3rd gen, Vanguard V13 mic, fast ethernet connection, wifi off, all green tests and latency as described as it should be in the set up step by step article. 

....in the last step of the Audio Gear set up (step 5), when it says to completely turn off direct monitoring (which I have done), and then it says to hit the Play button and you'll hear a repeating ding:  the noise I hear is a fuzzy almost non-pitched noise, sort of a scratchy sci-fi sonar noise, not at all a ding. Does this matter? What should I check? 

I haven't tried to use with anyone else yet, but am planning on trying it tomorrow morning for a lesson. 

Would record the fuzzy scratching noise and attach it, but I don't fully understand all the in and out routing I'm looking at. If it's necessary for me to attach, I can figure out how to capture it and upload it to this thread first thing in the morning. 

Any help or guidance appreciated. Above average computer literacy, novice to sound tech. 

UPDATE:  Thought I'd try it one more time before posting this, and this time I got a message saying, "Unable to load test sound, please contact support", with a link that took me to a salesforce page (https://www.salesforce.com/solutions/small-business-solutions/help-desk-software/?mc=desk) -- what in the hell??

Can anyone advise?
>>>
Just proceed & finish the setup.
Create a 'quick solo session'. If you can hear yourself - local monitoring switched OFF - your good. Don't look back.
D./

RE: Audio Gear set up, step 5 - StuartR - 10-23-2020

Can anyone advise?
Did you run the recommended Latencymon app on your Windows host machine and show good results handling real-time audio? Are you using a powered connection (if it's a laptop) and not running on battery?

RE: Audio Gear set up, step 5 - Govinderjaya - 10-23-2020

This is my first post, so hello all.
I just wanted to say that there is so much detail in these posts that it is amazing and very helpful.
BUT .....
I signed up to JK, as did the rest of my band, during the lockdown a few months ago here in the UK, and we tried to have a band practice online together. We are all based within about a 7 mile radius of each other. It didn't go very well. We're not exactly tech savvy but we all got online on the site. The biggest problem was the lag (latency) and it was impossible to have a practice of any sort due to there being an almost half a second delay between any of us playing anything.
I did some digging through forums and tried a few changes but it seemed like the things people were suggesting and doing weren't making too much difference anyway. 
So we disappointedly gave up. Kept getting emails saying loads of improvements were being made though. I got myself a new electric drum kit this month though (a huge improvement in quality over my previous one) and I thought "You know what, I'm going to try JK again in case my gear was s**t before and it should be better now".
So I logged on to JK and immediately it did a big update. I had also prior to that made sure I had the latest update/ drivers for my Scarlett solo interface.
I hooked up my gear and as a test I just joined an open jam session. The stats were all in the green or flickering down to yellow occasionally. I was amazed. And so I just started to jam along because there was no other drummer in the session. The other members dropped out almost immediately - my apologies for barging in unannounced, so thats fair enough. So I opened an open session with just myself ....... and some other people joined. I was just playing along and they joined in .... on the beat .... we were all synched up ...... it was BRILLIANT !! Bearing in mind previous attempt with my band we were local to each other and it was awful. This time the musicians were myself in the UK, 2 in the USA, 1 in Czech Republic and 1 in Germany, and it was like we were in the same practice room together.

My thoughts are that the improvements made on the site are largely what has enabled this. I have limited tech knowledge (I'm a drummer after all, not a proper musician :-) ) and using the settings 'as they come' really on JK, a standard but fairly good windows 10 laptop, Scarlett Solo interface and Millenium electric drum module so it's not all down to top notch expensive gear. I also used it with wired connection but also tried it, as a test, with wifi and the results were the same.
I'm saying a big old pat on the back to JK and whatever they have done and I will be using more often now and got to try and get the rest of the band on it.

So my limited tech advice is to make sure all your drivers and s**t like that are up to date and really go totally back to basics first just in case it's like 'try switching it off and back on again' !!!  (Btw - I am in no way mocking those of you with all the technical knowledge because whenever I have any IT type issues, the first thing I do is check out forums and most of the time you can find the solutions from someone who is far more knowledgeable, so thank you for that).

Gav

RE: Audio Gear set up, step 5 - hominah - 10-23-2020

(10-23-2020, 04:12 PM)StuartR Wrote:

Can anyone advise?
Did you run the recommended Latencymon app on your Windows host machine and show good results handling real-time audio? Are you using a powered connection (if it's a laptop) and not running on battery?

----------

Did not know about Latencymon, but just found and ran it -- I got a positive result. Yes, I'm plugged in. First real time JK use test in 20 minutes. 

I wonder if it was actually some kind of bug to the Jamkazam install, since I had been messing with the .exe compatability to try to make the app window content LARGER, since I can't SEE IT, so I uninstalled, got a new .exe, reinstalled, readded audio gear. The ding test still didn't work properly, but at least it was a fuzzy ding, instead of the app telling me it couldn't load the sound at all or playing some deep space communication noise.