JamKazam Forums
Putting Jamkazam sound into a Zoom video call? - Printable Version

+- JamKazam Forums (https://forum.jamkazam.com)
+-- Forum: Jamkazam Forums (https://forum.jamkazam.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Help with Mac Client Problems (https://forum.jamkazam.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Putting Jamkazam sound into a Zoom video call? (/showthread.php?tid=1566)

Pages: 1 2

Putting Jamkazam sound into a Zoom video call? - Dan TreeSound - 09-29-2020

I would like to have the audio I hear during a session played into a Zoom video meeting on the same iMAC desktop
computer I am using for Jamkazam?  How do I do this?

RE: Putting Jamkazam sound into a Zoom video call? - ersherin - 10-07-2020

Dan I have had the same problem in Windows. I went so far as to set my Zoom audio to dial-in so the drivers wouldn't get confused. On your Zoom screenshare, do you have the box "share computer sound" checked?

RE: Putting Jamkazam sound into a Zoom video call? - Trailmix - 10-07-2020

I would love to do this with my Mac Pro. Currently, I teach and use Omnisphere for piano and can set it to Zoom audio device at a buffer setting of 32 but the latency still lags too much for fast playing or complicated songs. I also teach drums and it would be great to run all of my instruments via JamKazam into Zoom. for better latency. Right now for my electronic drums I have Jamkazam running but play it through my studio monitors into my web cam microphone. Any suggestions?

RE: Putting Jamkazam sound into a Zoom video call? - Dan TreeSound - 10-08-2020

(10-07-2020, 01:30 PM)ersherin Wrote: Dan I have had the same problem in Windows.  I went so far as to set my Zoom audio to dial-in so the drivers wouldn't get confused.  On your Zoom screenshare, do you have the box "share computer sound" checked?
Thank you for responding and for asking.  I have briefly tried using screen share with "share computer sound" checked. It did work.  My friend and I, whom I play music with on JK, intend to test it out a little more but we will not be able to do so until next week.  Before covid we played together for services.  Now only one of us gets to do so over Zoom.  The service I regularly play for, usually has someone else sharing slides. However,  Zoom then does not allow one person to share slides and another person to share sound.  We will probably volunteer to run the slides and play the music from the same computer to allow us to do what you suggest.  I was hoping that without "sharing computer sound" I would just be able to have the JK output serve as the input where my Zoom voice/sound would go.  That would give us more flexibility.     Dan

RE: Putting Jamkazam sound into a Zoom video call? - Dan TreeSound - 10-09-2020

(10-07-2020, 11:02 PM)Trailmix Wrote: I would love to do this with my Mac Pro. Currently, I teach and use Omnisphere for piano and can set it to Zoom audio device at a buffer setting of 32 but the latency still lags too much for fast playing or complicated songs. I also teach drums and it would be great to run all of my instruments via JamKazam into Zoom. for better latency. Right now for my electronic drums I have Jamkazam running but play it through my studio monitors into my web cam microphone.  Any suggestions?
I hope that I find an answer but I do not have one yet.  I tried playing with friends on Jamkazam today and was not able to have a friend on Zoom who was not on Jamkazam hear my audio while I "shared computer sound."  I have seen the software products Audio Hijack with Loopback on YouTube that may be a resource that solves the connection problems but I have not tried it yet.

RE: Putting Jamkazam sound into a Zoom video call? - AndrewCollins - 10-09-2020

I have done what I think you're after - using a multi output device in the Mac's audio midi setup and "Blackhole" virtual driver from Existential Audio ( or Soundflower - but that doesn't run on Catalina ; or other similar software ).

Install Blackhole / Soundflower - these are virtual audio drivers and allow you to route the output (sound) from one into the input sound for another app - so it allows you to take JamKazam's output sound and use it as zoom's input sound.

But - because you want to also hear JamKazam's output sound yourself - you need a multi-output audio device.
Use the Audio MIDI Setup app ( it's in the 'other' folder in the launcher ) - and create a multi output device - consisting of (1) Wherever you'd "normally" have your JK sound go and (2) Blackhole or Soundflower NB : Make sure Blackhole is not the top device in the multi-output - otherwise it won't work. Enable drift correction ; and make sure that your sample rates all match up ( and match with JamKazam.

Now re-define you JK gear - and set the output to that new multi-output device you just created.

You could now test JK - and it should work as before. Bear in mind that multi output devices bypass the Mac's volume control if you are using the built-in audio .... so you can't use the normal volume control - there's a slider in "audio midi setup" that will adjust the sound level though.

With that working, you can then run zoom - but for "microphone" - select "Blackhole or Soundflower" .... you'll probably want to turn off the sound coming out of zoom as well - since you are "broadcasting" into zoom ; and you'll want to continue to hear your JamKazam output and not what's coming back from zoom.

You'll likely need to adjust zoom's microphone gain ( perhaps best to turn off the automatic level ) - and you also have a level control on Blackhole ( or Soundflower ) in Audio Midi Setup.

And with that all done - other people on your zoom meeting should be able to hear your JamKazam ( of course you - on JamKazam - won't be able to hear what other people might be saying on zoom ; without adding further complexity ).

I had this working yesterday - Mac OS Catalina ; current JK and Zoom versions and "Blackhole". Two people played together on JK - and sound was broadcast to a zoom meeting where a third person was able to listen to it.

RE: Putting Jamkazam sound into a Zoom video call? - Dimitri Muskens - 10-09-2020

>>>
I'm trying to get my head around why one would want to go this route.
Any audio stream one would feed into zoom will be drastically 'out of sync' with the video. Be it the audio from zoom itself or any other source. It's been tried and failed with several programs/apps. People have done live broadcasting through e.g. OBS with jamulus audio and zoom video, needing to significantly delay the audio stream to get somewhere near an acceptable viewing experience.

Jamkazam has however, build-in video and with the latest updates (and a proper network setup) this can work just fine for e.g. teaching and playing with smaller groups. This would mean that the peer(s) in the session would also run Jamkazam. And that is basically what Jamkazam has/is being developed for.

RE: Putting Jamkazam sound into a Zoom video call? - AndrewCollins - 10-09-2020

Our scenario is that several of our musical friends cannot run JamKazam ( no wired internet and in some cases phone or tablet only ) - but they do enjoy being able to "play along" to something being led by one musician over zoom ( the lack of sync of the video not really an issue ).
Of course more than one person can't lead the same tune on a zoom play-along ; but by feeding the output of JamKazam into zoom that becomes possible.

RE: Putting Jamkazam sound into a Zoom video call? - Dimitri Muskens - 10-09-2020

(10-09-2020, 12:58 PM)AndrewCollins Wrote: Our scenario is that several of our musical friends cannot run JamKazam  ( no wired internet and in some cases phone or tablet only ) - but they do enjoy being able to "play along" to something being led by one musician over zoom ( the lack of sync of the video not really an issue ). 
Of course more than one person can't lead the same tune on a zoom play-along ; but by feeding the output of JamKazam into zoom that becomes possible.
>>>
If video is not an issue why not just setup a conference call in whatsapp or messenger or telegram or whathaveyou?

RE: Putting Jamkazam sound into a Zoom video call? - Dan TreeSound - 10-10-2020

(10-09-2020, 12:24 PM)AndrewCollinsI have done what I think you\re after - using a multi output device in the Mac's audio midi setup and "Blackhole" virtual driver from Existential Audio ( or Soundflower - but that doesn't run on Catalina ;  or other similar software ). Wrote: Install Blackhole / Soundflower - these are virtual audio drivers and allow you to route the output (sound) from one into the input sound for another app - so it allows you to take JamKazam's output sound and use it as zoom's input sound.

But - because you want to also hear JamKazam's output sound yourself - you need a multi-output audio device.
Use the Audio MIDI Setup app  ( it's in the 'other' folder in the launcher ) - and create a multi output device - consisting of (1)  Wherever you'd "normally" have your JK sound go and (2) Blackhole or Soundflower  NB : Make sure Blackhole is not the top device in the multi-output - otherwise it won't work.    Enable drift correction ; and make sure that your sample rates all match up ( and match with JamKazam.

Now re-define you JK gear - and set the output to that new multi-output device you just created.

You could now test JK - and it should work as before.  Bear in mind that multi output devices bypass the Mac's volume control if you are using the built-in audio .... so you can't use the normal volume control - there's a slider in "audio midi setup" that will adjust the sound level though.

With that working, you can then run zoom - but for "microphone" - select "Blackhole or Soundflower" .... you'll probably want to turn off the sound coming out of zoom as well - since you are "broadcasting" into zoom ; and you'll want to continue to hear your JamKazam output and not what's coming back from zoom.

You'll likely need to adjust zoom's microphone gain ( perhaps best to turn off the automatic level ) - and you also have a level control on Blackhole ( or Soundflower ) in Audio Midi Setup.

And with that all done - other people on your zoom meeting should be able to hear your JamKazam ( of course you - on JamKazam - won't be able to hear what other people might be saying on zoom ; without adding further complexity ).

I had this working yesterday - Mac OS Catalina ; current JK and Zoom versions and "Blackhole".    Two people played together on JK - and sound was broadcast to a zoom meeting where a third person was able to listen to it.

Thank you very much. That sounds like quite a comprehensive solution.  I will give it a try.  
Thanks,  Dan

Thank you very much. That sounds like quite a comprehensive solution. I will give it a try. I look forward to trying it out.
Thanks, Dan