JamKazam Forums
Low upload bandwidth (Audio Bw Tx) and Bufferbloat advice please - Printable Version

+- JamKazam Forums (https://forum.jamkazam.com)
+-- Forum: Jamkazam Forums (https://forum.jamkazam.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Help with Network Gear (https://forum.jamkazam.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Low upload bandwidth (Audio Bw Tx) and Bufferbloat advice please (/showthread.php?tid=1558)

Pages: 1 2

Low upload bandwidth (Audio Bw Tx) and Bufferbloat advice please - davegee1 - 09-26-2020

Hello! Jamkazam is amazing but I'm still trying to get the best connection possible. Some advice please!

Question 1 - My 'Audio Bw Tx' is red, showing as 143k. So my audio is glitchy on the other side, to my friend. How can I improve this? It should not be my internet connection as I have cable internet with approx 30mbs upload. I am also connected via LAN cable as is my friend. Are there any settings in JamKazam that can improve this? I've tried setting the outgoing audio stream from 256k, to 320k to 512k but it had no effect. 

Question 2 - the internet latency is about 8oms between my friend and me. WE are both on LAN and about 200km from each other, in Victoria, Australia. I've done a dslreports speed test and I think its because my friend has high 'buffer bloat'. We are in Australia and he is connected on a 25mbs/5mbs 'FTTN' plan which uses copper wires in the network. I am assuming the actual internet connection may be the issue there. Any idea how to fix? Could perhaps a new router with QoS somehow help?

Thank you!
Dave

RE: Low upload bandwidth (Audio Bw Tx) and Bufferbloat advice please - davegee1 - 09-26-2020

I figured it out. In the Network Settings I just had to turn off 'Auto Throttle Bitrate'. Done! Now.... just need to resolve the 70ms Internet latency issue

RE: Low upload bandwidth (Audio Bw Tx) and Bufferbloat advice please - Terles - 09-29-2020

I'd start by having both of you do a speed test (preferable to the same server) - one that provides not only up and down speed but also measures jitter. That may lead to seeing one person with speed / jitter issues over another. I've seen it here in Canada where updating a modem has resolved similar problems (see https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Router-jitter/m-p/354647#M32690 ) which references jitter as it applies to the gaming community, but specifically addresses the issue of internet modems & firmware versions. Hope this helps...

RE: Low upload bandwidth (Audio Bw Tx) and Bufferbloat advice please - davegee1 - 10-02-2020

(09-29-2020, 12:48 PM)Terles Wrote: I'd start by having both of you do a speed test (preferable to the same server) - one that provides not only up and down speed but also measures jitter.  That may lead to seeing one person with speed / jitter issues over another.  I've seen it here in Canada where updating a modem has resolved similar problems (see https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Router-jitter/m-p/354647#M32690 ) which references jitter as it applies to the gaming community, but specifically addresses the issue of internet modems & firmware versions.  Hope this helps...
Thank you for the tip on point 2 above. We may try another router for him. Regarding the audio upload bandwidth issue (point 1). I thought I’d resolved it by taking ‘auto throttle’ off, but I tried it last night and the connection was bad. My friend was hearing glitchy audio and I was getting errors saying I had ‘network packet send’ errors. Maybe I need the auto throttle back on. Not sure why I have upload band witch issues - I have 30mbps up on cable, and interestingly, I can use video upload with no problems.

RE: Low upload bandwidth (Audio Bw Tx) and Bufferbloat advice please - StuartR - 10-08-2020

(09-26-2020, 04:43 AM)davegee1 Wrote: Hello! Jamkazam is amazing but I'm still trying to get the best connection possible. Some advice please!

Question 1 - My 'Audio Bw Tx' is red, showing as 143k. So my audio is glitchy on the other side, to my friend. How can I improve this? It should not be my internet connection as I have cable internet with approx 30mbs upload. I am also connected via LAN cable as is my friend. Are there any settings in JamKazam that can improve this? I've tried setting the outgoing audio stream from 256k, to 320k to 512k but it had no effect. 

Question 2 - the internet latency is about 8oms between my friend and me. WE are both on LAN and about 200km from each other, in Victoria, Australia. I've done a dslreports speed test and I think its because my friend has high 'buffer bloat'. We are in Australia and he is connected on a 25mbs/5mbs 'FTTN' plan which uses copper wires in the network. I am assuming the actual internet connection may be the issue there. Any idea how to fix? Could perhaps a new router with QoS somehow help?

Thank you!
Dave.
I thought FTTN uses fiber optics, not copper wires as in the old telco technology. Check to see if either of you is using DSL (internet through copper telco pairs). JK doesn't work that well (high latency) via DSL.

RE: Low upload bandwidth (Audio Bw Tx) and Bufferbloat advice please - Terles - 10-08-2020

(10-08-2020, 05:13 PM)StuartR Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 04:43 AM)davegee1 Wrote: Hello! Jamkazam is amazing but I'm still trying to get the best connection possible. Some advice please!

Thank you!
Dave.
I thought FTTN uses fiber optics, not copper wires as in the old telco technology. Check to see if either of you is using DSL (internet through copper telco pairs). JK doesn't work that well (high latency) via DSL.
Funny - here in Canada it appears that DSL works better than cable!

RE: Low upload bandwidth (Audio Bw Tx) and Bufferbloat advice please - Dimitri Muskens - 10-09-2020

(10-08-2020, 10:55 PM)Terles Wrote:

Thank you!
Dave.

"Funny - here in Canada it appears that DSL works better than cable!"

>>>
That is my experience as well here in NL.
I found there to be significantly more 'jitter' on cable (COAX/TV) connections as opposed to copper or fiber.
So speeds and stability are not the issue on cable but there seems to be more 'noise' (jitter). I've stopped investigating since we're being hooked up to fibre/fiber (glass) any day now (and can't wait ;-))

RE: Low upload bandwidth (Audio Bw Tx) and Bufferbloat advice please - davegee1 - 10-10-2020

(10-09-2020, 09:33 AM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:

Thank you!
Dave.

>>>
I found there to be significantly more 'jitter' on cable (COAX/TV) connections as opposed to copper or fiber.
So speeds and stability are not the issue on cable but there seems to be more 'noise' (jitter). I've stopped investigating since we're being hooked up to fibre/fiber (glass) any day now (and can't wait ;-))
That’s good info. But sad. Here in Australia if you are in an area where cable exists, fibre will never be rolled out. Very sad. I wonder if trying a new router might help? My current router doesn’t have QOS

RE: Low upload bandwidth (Audio Bw Tx) and Bufferbloat advice please - Dimitri Muskens - 10-10-2020

(10-10-2020, 05:02 AM)davegee1 Wrote:

Thank you!
Dave.

>>>
That’s good info. But sad. Here in Australia if you are in an area where cable exists, fibre will never be rolled out. Very sad. I wonder if trying a new router might help? My current router doesn’t have QOS

>>>
In the early days of this mass use of Jamkazam, QOS was seen as a bad thing for Jamkazam. Not sure where the community stands nowadays on the issue.
With cable a newish modem/router, dedicated IPv4, PF and making sure there's not much (read nothing) else happening on your LAN (WiFi!) and WAN connection while using Jamkazam, seem to be most one can do.
I'm doing pretty good on cable atm (sub 20ms with band members) but jitter and jitter que do vary and can mess things up.

RE: Low upload bandwidth (Audio Bw Tx) and Bufferbloat advice please - raychew - 10-17-2020

(10-10-2020, 09:15 AM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:
(10-10-2020, 05:02 AM)davegee1 Wrote:
(10-08-2020, 05:13 PM)StuartR Wrote: I thought FTTN uses fiber optics, not copper wires as in the old telco technology. Check to see if either of you is using DSL (internet through copper telco pairs). JK doesn't work that well (high latency) via DSL.

>>>

>>>
In the early days of this mass use of Jamkazam, QOS was seen as a bad thing for Jamkazam. Not sure where the community stands nowadays on the issue.
With cable a newish modem/router, dedicated IPv4, PF and making sure there's not much (read nothing) else happening on your LAN (WiFi!) and WAN connection while using Jamkazam, seem to be most one can do.
I'm doing pretty good on cable atm (sub 20ms with band members) but jitter and jitter que do vary and can mess things up.

QOS isn't really possible over the Internet, at least not now; maybe never. QOS works by marking the every data packet with priority information. This marking has to be respected across all routers from all ISP's on the Internet. This is where the problem lies. All ISP's would have to agree on a standard which is unlikely to happen. QOS can work in an enterprise network where traffic can be controlled end to end. 

Here is a good article that provides more detail...

https://www.nojitter.com/qos-becoming-irrelevant

/rc