JamKazam Forums
Best way to play backing tracks - Printable Version

+- JamKazam Forums (https://forum.jamkazam.com)
+-- Forum: Jamkazam Forums (https://forum.jamkazam.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://forum.jamkazam.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Best way to play backing tracks (/showthread.php?tid=1197)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Best way to play backing tracks - Hans Peter Augustesen - 06-19-2020

(06-19-2020, 07:18 AM)Chris Frost Wrote:
(06-18-2020, 10:19 PM)carvinae185@gmail.com Wrote: By Pressing the record button in the row of buttons across the top of an actual session
Try clicking on ‘from an audio file’ in the “recorded Audio’ section of that screen ..... it supplies a dialog that allows you to upload a wav file.

Further to the above list from Hans Peter,  there are advantages and disadvantages to all - you need to pick the compromise that best suits you.

1.  Plugging in a player to separate tracks - basically means that you need a 4 channel Audio I/F .... 1 for your instrument, 1 for voice / chat and 2 for the backing track - set for left & right panned stereo.  This has advantage that you can alter the track (depending on your player / kit) ... including slow down / change key, etc ... or loop around particular sections.  ... also, the backing track gets included in the recording.  Disadvantage is that the 'other jammers' cant disconnect the levels for the backing track from whatever you are playing.

2, 3 & 4 are similar

They ALL use the 'Recorded Audio' section in the 'session window' ... 'Recorded' would be a JK session that you already recorded,  'Audio File' allows you to upload a single .wav file to play and 'Jam Track' allows you to purchase a track from JK.  You CAN record your session ... as long as you START the recording before starting the playback of the track. 

The advantage is that each jammer can adjust the level that they hear separate to the level of the instruments (recorded Audio is a separate track to each jammer).  The disadvantage is that the backing will not be in any 'recording' made in JK and you cant change the tempo, etc (without using a different file).

I only have a 2 channel Audio i/f - so have been using the 'Recorded Audio - Audio File' method very successfully. ... but can see some possibilities for the other approach
Thanks for that good explanation/information.

Especially "You CAN record your session ... as long as you START the recording before starting the playback of the track" - very good!

RE: Best way to play backing tracks - GDJ - 06-19-2020

Good discussion!

Let me know if you think my response is more appropriate for a separate post.

I too have been fighting the volume mix issue. It seems to me it would be nice to have JK implement a limiter function in the session to prevent someone else’s signal to drown everyone else out. For instance, the session will limit at +0db. And yes, I am aware of the compression settings in the mixer, but this is not the same as limiting.

The Mixer and the ability to manage your own volume is helpful but in reality, it would be nice to also have a slider option to lower down all other users together as a grouped mix – excluding yourself. This is because typically, the more people there are, the louder the mix becomes. It is true you can control everyone else’s volume one at a time or in the mixer settings, but this is timely and your hands are on sliders and not your instrument.

Currently you can increase or lower your own mix but I do not want to make myself louder because getting louder is not the answer. I have already verified and tested my inputs are strong signals and making myself louder will cause distortion.

Bit Rate settings. I also prefer to have the Audio Booster at 128kbs, and 1 or 2ms frame rate. This is in agreement with my musical partners I get together with weekly. We have noticed it helps a little with the latency. But the trade-off is quality of sound. This too me is acceptable. It’s not that bad. Switching it to 320, I can hear the difference. I find it’s good to understand the difference so I can make a choie about it.

With my musical peers we struggle with the Mix, asking each other, “can you hear me ?”. They may respond we can’t hear your guitar that good!. And yet, my guitar has a good strong signal in peaking the 1st red signal indicator. In other words, I can hear myself more than others can sometimes. I do find the new recent feature to reset the audio volume is helpful.

My objective at this point is to figure out what is needed for someone else to hear me as good as I hear myself. And, vice versa. Beyond the normal mix volume control settings for each other’s track.

Also, what does this have to do with backing tracks? I host Groove Jam sessions once a week using DigiTech Trios. The Trios are programmed with beats, songs etc. Lots of fun for others to play along with. They serve as backing tracks in a dedicated JK stereo track. But, often someone can join our open session and their signal will be overwhelming. They are in the Red and drown everyone out. This is where a limiter could be handy preventing their signal from being to strong.

My setup.
I have all 8 inputs used, as stereo pairs = 4 JK Tracks
Voice (stereo voice processor)
Gtr L/R effects
Other = Roland GR-55 guitar synth (stereo)
Drums = 2 ea, Digitech Trios  (using ABY mixer)

RE: Best way to play backing tracks - carvinae185@gmail.com - 06-19-2020

(06-19-2020, 01:51 PM)GDJ Wrote: Good discussion!

Let me know if you think my response is more appropriate for a separate post.

I too have been fighting the volume mix issue. It seems to me it would be nice to have JK implement a limiter function in the session to prevent someone else’s signal to drown everyone else out. For instance, the session will limit at +0db. And yes, I am aware of the compression settings in the mixer, but this is not the same as limiting.

The Mixer and the ability to manage your own volume is helpful but in reality, it would be nice to also have a slider option to lower down all other users together as a grouped mix – excluding yourself. This is because typically, the more people there are, the louder the mix becomes. It is true you can control everyone else’s volume one at a time or in the mixer settings, but this is timely and your hands are on sliders and not your instrument.

Currently you can increase or lower your own mix but I do not want to make myself louder because getting louder is not the answer. I have already verified and tested my inputs are strong signals and making myself louder will cause distortion.

Bit Rate settings. I also prefer to have the Audio Booster at 128kbs, and 1 or 2ms frame rate. This is in agreement with my musical partners I get together with weekly. We have noticed it helps a little with the latency. But the trade-off is quality of sound. This too me is acceptable. It’s not that bad. Switching it to 320, I can hear the difference. I find it’s good to understand the difference so I can make a choie about it.

With my musical peers we struggle with the Mix, asking each other, “can you hear me ?”. They may respond we can’t hear your guitar that good!. And yet, my guitar has a good strong signal in peaking the 1st red signal indicator. In other words, I can hear myself more than others can sometimes. I do find the new recent feature to reset the audio volume is helpful.

My objective at this point is to figure out what is needed for someone else to hear me as good as I hear myself. And, vice versa. Beyond the normal mix volume control settings for each other’s track.

Also, what does this have to do with backing tracks? I host Groove Jam sessions once a week using DigiTech Trios. The Trios are programmed with beats, songs etc. Lots of fun for others to play along with. They serve as backing tracks in a dedicated JK stereo track. But, often someone can join our open session and their signal will be overwhelming. They are in the Red and drown everyone out. This is where a limiter could be handy preventing their signal from being to strong.

My setup.
I have all 8 inputs used, as stereo pairs = 4 JK Tracks
Voice (stereo voice processor)
Gtr L/R effects
Other = Roland GR-55 guitar synth (stereo)
Drums = 2 ea, Digitech Trios  (using ABY mixer)

Probably worth a new post, and include an overview of the advantages of Jamtracks.   Personally I see the addition of strangers to jams as fraught with risk.  Setting expectations is tough and once somebody doesn't work out, you risk hurt feelings.  If you already have one or two buddies who are known quantities, adding backing tracks can take care of the rest.

It is very confusing that carvinae185@gmail.com`s answer is in the same field as
GDJ`s text.

In this way, it is difficult to distinguish one from the other.
It is actually very bad - and in fact unacceptable and intolerable

And why and/or how does something like this happen?

Now I have told the same story two times (one of them in another thread).

And asked the same question twice ...

I hope I will get an answer - soon

Here is a link to the other thread - where that strange phenemon also is:

Microsoft Surface Pro 7 audio gear setup
https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.php?tid=1187

And by the way - I think it is not the first or second time I have seen that confusing phenomen

RE: Best way to play backing tracks - carvinae185@gmail.com - 06-19-2020

Many times when you reply to somebody else's post it puts in all of their post first and then you can either add your new information at the bottom of that or the top of that .....I usually do it at the bottom ......
and maybe a quick reply doesn't include a quotation from the previous comment..... it can be confusing to try to figure out which part is the new post

I will never accept such a thing. It's intolerable

It must not be possible, quite simply
But it happens anyway.

What, then, is the precise explanation that it can be done at all?

I can - as the so-called "super moderator" I am - add a text to any post.
But I would never do that - under normal circumstances, that is

RE: Best way to play backing tracks - GDJ - 06-19-2020

Hi you guys.

1. i agree.. thinking more about it, i think my reply can be a separate post. But with respect to what Hans Peter is saying too, i realize it can be tiring to provide repeated replies to the same question. (i may delete my post when I create a new separate one)

2. Hans Peter, if i have time, i will create a document for the Help section about Session Mixing or, see what there is and if we decide it can be updated and posted as a Sticky. I reviewed the other thread and beginning to understand what you are saying. I think we need to agree on it before it is posted. And, you have a lot of great knowledge it will be good for you to have a break so you can just refer to the same post without repeating yourself over and over. Maybe we can consolidate existing posts to create a good document.

3. With regard to Reply. The more i use the forum, I use the New Reply button instead of the quick reply. This way, it doesn't included everything that is already stated in the thread. I personally find this annoying and other forums I am a member of don't include the entire thread, but you can specify your own quote.

Thanks, and let me know if have any other advise or suggestion for me.

GDJ

RE: Best way to play backing tracks - Hans Peter Augustesen - 06-20-2020

Creating "a document for the Help section about Session Mixing" and so is a very good idea, GDJ.
In all circumstances!

I want to contribute to that. If you have a draft, send it to me.
Then I look at it with a tuning fork.
Maybe I have additions or suggestions for wording. Or structure or whatever ...